Monday, May 14, 2007

Operation Mother's Ring

So my brother, sister and I decided to go in on a mother's ring for our mom. If you haven't heard of them before, mother's rings come in all different styles, and are set with the birthstones of the children.

In our case, the three birthstones are Blue Zircon, Diamond, and Emerald.


Luckily, the three colors coordinate nicely and are (conveniently) our mom's favorite combination: blue, white, and green. The colors of the ocean! They live in Florida! How considerate of us to be born in those months!

For causing minor fuck-ups you can either blame a) my brother, for having diamond as his birthstone (typical of the middle child to seek attention by being born in the most expensive birthstone month) or b) my sister, for having a birthstone that is so much darker than the other two.

I, as the eldest child, am of course blameless (although I do suffer from an overwhelming need to organize my closet and do everything first, so I guess we're even).


The real blame lies with c) My father, but you'll find out why in a minute.


As the coordinator of the ring-buying effort, I was responsible for choosing the ring, but I had no idea on which finger my mom would want to wear this ring, or what size to buy.

So, I turned to the man who knows her best. My pop.

"Hey, pop!

"Hi, Liz!"

"So Chad, Kim and I were planning to buy a mother's ring for mom."

"Oh! She'll love that!

"I'm just not sure what size to get."

"Oh! Uh...I have no idea what her ring size is."

"Could you find out? I know all the fingers are different sizes, but if you can give me a ballpark idea..."


"..."


"Hello?"


"How do I find out what her size is?"


"I don't know... maybe tell her you want to get her shoe, bra, and ring sizes for future gift-buying. Then she won't know which one you're focusing on."


"I know what her bra size is."


"Um. Right. Well... maybe you could get a ring from her jewelry box and find out what size it is."


"What if she sees me?"


"Right. Well, I'm not sure, then. I guess we could go ahead and order a larger size, and she can get it sized down after we give it to her."

"No, don't worry. I'll figure out a way to get it!"

"Okay."

"Yep, I'll think of a way."


"Great! Just be sure she doesn't get suspicious, okay?"


"Roger that."



Fast-forward a couple of days later...


Dad: Liz! I got the ring size. It's 6 and 3/4.


Liz: Awesome. How did you find out?


Dad: I told her I was thinking about getting her a mother's ring and I wanted to know which finger she would wear it on.


Liz:


Dad:


Liz: Dad.


Dad: What?


Liz: YOU JUST TOLD HER THE SURPRISE.


Dad: No, I didn't!


Liz: Yes, you did! You told her she's getting a mother's ring!


Dad: I just said I was thinking about it, and I didn't say it was coming from you guys!


Liz: Well, that will throw her off for sure.


Dad: She'll be surprised, I know it.


Liz: (sigh)


Dad: What?


Liz: I'm really glad you were in the Air Force and not the FBI.


We decided to wait and give her the ring in person during our family vacation at the end of June. She'll have forgotten all about it by then.


Right?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger katze said...

That's a lovely ring, your mom will be so happy!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

It's a pretty ring. The reconnaissance mission made me laugh ;)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Beautiful ring! I know your mom will love it!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Hee hee! Your dad is soooo sneaky.

I'm sure your mom will be thrilled no matter what.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

One day my siblings and I will do the same for our mom. Yours is very pretty!

10:29 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

What a beautiful ring!! Even if she's not as surprised now, I know she'll love it. How could she not? :)

11:57 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

it is incredibly pretty.

your dad is totally like my father-in-law; the only difference is that he'd have just said, "Mary, the kids are getting you a ring and need to know your size." NO attempt at subtlety, your dad gets points for the attempt. Sigh. Men.

3:58 PM  
Blogger kj said...

awww. the ring is beautiful, liz.

your father's approach is hysterical!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Janet M Kincaid said...

Dads.... You can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em!

Nice gift for your mom. No doubt, she'll love it!

4:43 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Beautiful!! Your Mom will love it!! Hope she has a short memory!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home