Monday, June 11, 2007

Skin has been pricked, and you're to blame. You give dogs a bad name (a bad name).

I firmly believe that I'm not allergic to dogs. I believe this with all my heart despite:

1) The huge welt that the DOG allergen left on my forearm during my skin prick tests.

Reason to Disregard: Even doctors make mistakes. Probably she mixed a couple of them up and I'm really allergic to cockroaches. I mean, after the pricks both of my arms were completed covered with mounds and mounds of volcano-like...um, mounds. I'm thinking that the cockroach welt must have spilled over into the designated dog area.

Next!

2) The mysterious fact that I've always had dogs, and I've always had allergies.

Reason to Disregard: Mere coincidence. Obviously if I've always had dogs, I can't be allergic to them. It's the fucking trees. And grass. And mold. Fuck you, nature. The End.


Bottom Line:

I've always had dogs, and I will continue to have dogs. Alex brings me more joy than just about anything, and even if I were allergic to him (which I am not), it is completely and utterly worth it. And someday I'll have more space and money and then I'll have ten dogs, and they'll all sleep on our bed.

"Ha ha ha!" I'll wheeze victoriously, as I sneeze and gasp and leave a slimy snot trail on the way to the bathroom.

Besides, could anyone really be allergic to such intelligence and cuteness?


Precious Moments eyes.



Stinky, wet, and completely in his element
during this weekend's hike.




Upside-down vampire teeth.


I finally got Alex on video doing his "commando" move, where he crawls on his belly, dragging his Kermit legs behind him. I'm thinking he's a little strange.

But still completely worth it.

(sorry, the video is really dark. Windowless hallway.)








Going Commando from Liz on Vimeo

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger R U Serious?? said...

The danged video didn't play, but WHO could possibly be allergic to such a sweet face??? My guess is you're allergic to cockroaches! Beside, a little (little??) snot trail is worth it!! Dogs are always worth it!! Have you seen mine?? http//:ruserious0947.spaces.live.com.

Take care sweetie!
Bob~

9:52 PM  
Blogger Veronica Mitchell said...

My allergist says every time, "If I tell you to get rid of your pets, you're more likely to just get rid of me."

I hope you find medication that helps.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

I think you have to do whats right for you. Your dog is worth it and I'm sure you will find the right meds. If my dr told me I was allergic to cats, I certainly would not get rid of Calvin and Bella!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

It's like poop (I start far too many stories like that, BTW). When you live with a person long enough, the flora bacteria stuff in your poop basically becomes the same. You can't get sick (easily) from any poop-related bacteria from that other person. For the most part. Obviously there are exceptions. But let's not get too detailed on that.

Same thing with Alex. He has lived with you for so long that all of that allergy-aggrevating dander and shit is a part of you. It doesn't matter. So you might be allergic to "dogs", but Alex? No way.

That should be your response to the doctor. "I don't have a DOG. I have Alex!"

10:57 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Have you considered getting allergy shots? I've had them in the past, and they really help. And I agree, no one could be allergic to such intelligence and cuteness ;)

12:07 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Alex, you are just too cute. Have your mommy give you a hug from me. :)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- my allergist has strongly recommended the shots, but I'm holding off for various reasons. I'll do it eventually...

9:35 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

when you get the shots, just make sure they know what they're doing. i had a good shot-giver, but then i had to use another one b/c i moved, and my arm always swelled up with that one b/c they were imprecise and used too much allergen in their shots.

11:06 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

My mom got allergy shots when I still lived at home and had a cat. I think they did help her. But that's just something to keep in mind in case you DO ever become allergic to dogs. ;)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Aww, Alex is a cutie! I feel your pain. I'm allergic to cats, and I have not one but two of them. I finally had to give in and stop sleeping with them. I hope you and Alex find a way to co-sleep snotlessly.

4:23 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

since we are leaving unsolicited advice.....try homeopathy.

4:35 PM  
Blogger kj said...

i wonder what made alex start to crawl like that? he could go on david letterman.

as for your allergies, sneeze, hummn, sniffle: it's a good thing you have your priorities straight, liz.

:)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I wish the video were better. I tried to lighten it in a video editing program, but apparently I'm an idiot when it comes to video editing programs.

6:04 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

ok, that's just weird. but he's cute, so it's ok.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Alex is one of the cutest dogs I've seen!! I love the picture "Precious Moments Eyes". And I love the way he crawls.

I've always been partial to cocker spaniels - having had one myself.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I loved the title of this post.

Poodles are supposed to be pretty close to hypoallergenic. Alex wants you to bring him home a French girly-friend.

I couldn't see him in your video, but I love your crown molding.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home