Monday, July 02, 2007

There's sand in my toothbrush

Last weekend my brother, his girlfriend, and their dog picked up a rented minivan in Manhattan and drove to our house. We jumped in with our dog and we all settled in for a lovely 12-hour drive to my parents' house in Florida.

My sister, apparently the only one who has any smarts, opted to fly from New York to Florida. Her feelings: "I don't think I want to start my vacation with a 16-hour minivan ride."

That was before she knew about the travel margarita machine. We ran out of tequila somewhere in South Carolina.

Kidding! There were no margaritas, just straight tequila shots.

Kidding again!

The truth is that there was lots of dog hair, soy crisps, and Johnny Cash and Run-DMC. And a fun moment when the minivan completely lost power as we were barreling down the highway at 75 mph.

Power? Power is for wusses.


When we stopped to put air in the tires, Alex and BB took over the front seat. Here they plot to hijack the minivan as my brother looks on, completely unaware of the impending insurgence.

Do you have the keys?
No, I thought you did.
Shit!


Anyway, we arrived safely and only slightly rumpled.

The majority of the week was spent engaged in various water sports, as my parents live on the intracoastal waterway and have two boats and lots of related toys. My shining moment came when I was the only one to spin 360 degrees on the Hydroslide board while being pulled behind the boat. No one managed to capture this on tape (I can't imagine why the Fox 5 helicopter wasn't there), so you'll just have to take my word for it that I was an awesome badass for five seconds of my life.

Alex sort of had fun...





...until he cut his pad on an oyster shell and had to wear a wee bandage for two days.


We even went swimming with the dolphins at Marineland. It was really neat. I think I'm going back to school yet again so I can become a marine biologist.


I think they should put this picture in their brochure. I am
clearly a beacon of light in the dolphin conservation movement.


I might put up some more pictures in the next post. There's an especially great one of my sister and I trying to pose like nautical sex kittens on the front of the boat while actually resembling wet, dizzy goats.

Anyhow, it was a really fun week, and the first time in years that my family has been together in Florida. I've probably mentioned that although we never lived there as a family, Florida always felt like home. It was the one constant as we moved all over the country, and we all have lots of special memories of being there.

Naturally, this visit sparked yet another round of the fabulous, mind-numbing game of Should We Move to Florida?

But I think I'll save that discussion for another time. My head hurts after hours of perusing real estate publications.

Let's just say that I could get used to wearing my flip-flops every day.

Do I get a vote?


Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger kj said...

more more more please.

more words, more pictures.

can't wait.

:)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Poor Alex! There was a real change in his expression from the rollicking photos to the bandage photo. I assume it is all healed, though?

So are Alex and BB friends now?

A friend of mine lives in Fla and they just got a 3-bedroom house with a pool and a jacuzzi.

*Sigh*

I'm sure it's much cheaper than Northeast real estate, too.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Florida is beautiful! I have fond memories of going snorkeling there amongst the stingrays. Glad you had a good time!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- it healed pretty quickly. I think the salt water helped a lot.

BB tolerates him. Most of the time. He was not allowed to venture into the back of the van (her territory) at any time during the 24 hours of travel. :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Kay- I love snorkeling. Did you ever use frozen peas to lure fish? Or is that something my family made up?

1:33 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Love the pictures and can't wait for more! I'm glad Alex has healed.

Personally, I don't think you should move to Florida. Think Canada. (I want to feel like I started a trend. lol)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Whoa, frozen peas lure fish? I did not know that! Either your family made that up, or my family needs to brush up on our snorkeling skills. (Probably the latter.)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Emma Sometimes said...

wow, your pooch has more fun than I DO!!

I don't know if I've said it before but I do love your blog.

I love your blog.

Now I've said it.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I've heard of the frozen peas trick. And I don't know your family so I'm pretty sure they didn't make it up.

I love watching dogs play in the water and Alex is no exception (what a cute pic!).

Was the trip back just as fun as the one down?

*anxiously awaiting that picture of you and your sis* ;)

2:00 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

I will SO be back to peruse this post more!! Looking forward to the pics too!!

Oh!! Wait.... Peas for bait?? Well for the love of.... And here I was using squid, sardines, etc!! What do I know!!!

Glad Alex is all better!! I'll tell my Bonnie that she can relax now!! (She has this 'thing' about Alex!!) She like the tall, dark types!!

Take care!!!!!

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Johnny Cash and Run-DMC? Now that is variety.

10:00 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

you'll make a lot more money as a marine biologist, and I am sure the dolphins are smarter than the average college student.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Plus they don't use Wikipedia...

3:12 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Doesn't Florida have giant cockroaches?

Ah, I'm just criticizing because I can't afford to live there.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I don't have your e-mail addy so

www.myspace.com/nozeemom

1:16 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

See?? My Bonnie is VERY bummed!! She Soooo wants Alex to like her!! I've tried comforting her but she is just not to be consoled! Poor baby!! She tells me that she needs the strong, silent type!! I told her I'd try to help her! I even posted an ad for her on a singles site:

"SFD (single female dog), looking for an AMD (Agressive Male Dog) for dating and FUN!! But I'm a female, so don't screw with me or I'll have to hurt you!!"

Sounds good, right??

Not many responses so take your time.....

Hope you had a GREAT 4th!!!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Serious- maybe we can arrange a canine rendezvous. ;)

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home