Monday, August 13, 2007

What a Classic Combination

I cooked several things this weekend: fish tacos, cabbage salad with an anchovy-garlic-white wine vinegar dressing, and homemade Oreo cookies.

I wasn't thrilled with my fish tacos, so I won't be posting a recipe (though Mike ate three of them in rapid succession, so they couldn't have been too bad). I also didn't care for the cabbage salad, which was really annoying considering the amount of time I spent mashing the garlic with the anchovies and then emulsifying the olive oil and vinegar and shredding red and green cabbage (and a bit of my knuckles). But I'm pleased to report that the salad was tastier tonight, after it had 24 hours to chill in the refrigerator and think about what it had done.

The real winner of the weekend was the homemade Oreos. Mike loved them, two housefuls of neighbors loved them, and my co-workers demolished the plate that I brought in today. It's true-- everyone loves O-R-E-O.

Here's the recipe from Wayne Brachman's Retro Desserts, along with my own pictures. It was a bit time consuming, especially since I made a double batch, but fun.

Ingredients:


Chocolate Wafers:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375 degrees.

In a food processor (or bowl of an electric mixer), thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing (or on low speed), add the butter, then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.




Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough (I used a flat-bottomed measuring cup).






Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking.

Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.




To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.



To assemble the cookies, fit pastry bag with a 1/2 inch round tip and fill with cream. (if you don't have a pastry bag, you can also use a plastic sandwich bag. Just fill the bag and the cut one of the bottom corners to size).




Pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. (Okay, clearly I like a bit more cream than that in my cookies...)



Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, working the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.


It's the perfect garnish for a glass of ice-cold milk, if you ask me.


Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Yum!

As for the cabbage: good for you for setting boundaries there. If coleslaw can't behave on the first day, it should have to sit in the fridge and think about what it's done... ;-)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Wow. I'm impressed :)

10:11 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Oh YUM! The oreos look so good!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Zen Master said...

Wow! Check you out! I see one of your labels is "Good Things". Martha better move ova!

I NEED to get me one of those kitchen aids. I've been visiting a few at a couple of stores...but it's just not in my budget...yet!

VERY NICE!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Emma Sometimes said...

yummmmm. I have to try this one out. Hmmm, good.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Thanks for a great end of the summer project to do with the kids.

Yum!!!

2:01 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

You had me at the anchovy-garlic-white wine vinegar dressing!! LOVE anchovies!!!! Pizza is NOT pizza without them!!!

2:33 AM  
Blogger kj said...

ooooooooooooooooooh.

i wish i lived nextdoor....

9:21 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Looks delicious! I like Oreos a lot -- one of my cats is named Oreo, actually.

11:43 AM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

me love cooookies

2:42 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I'm not sure I would take the time to make those Oreos, but they sure do look good! You can always mail them, right? lol

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Party of Seven said...

I just stumbled upon your blog a couple of days ago and I have to say it was just in time. The homemeade Oreos had me licking my monitor. Try explaining that to the kids. "Um...Mom?"

3:07 PM  
Blogger nutmeg said...

Home-made Oreos - I suppose the equivalent in Australia would be to make home-made Tim Tams (but I think the full chocolate outer coating would defeat me!)

They look super professional and tasty!

And I have noted down your Sloppy Joe recipe. God, it looks good. I've not seen "soy crumbles" before - I don't know if they are available in Australia (I'm sure vegetarians here could let me know) but I am assuming you can replace this with mince (ground beef) for the carnivores? And mmmmmm, coriander (cilantro).

9:20 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

All of a sudden, I'm very HUNGRY!! I'll have to share the recipe with my sister (she's the baker in the family...and she likes to share!).

11:35 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

My God, woman, those cookies look delicious.

I don't know that I'll have the patience to make them anytime soon, but Luke and I did just purchase a package of Oreos this weekend. And lots and lots of milk.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

i want to eat the computer screen! those oreos look great.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Uncle Phatato said...

That's awesome..."to think about what they had done..."

It's always so depressing when good food isn't great the night you make it, but a day later when you could care less.

Humpf.

But do we appreciate it more, do you think?

10:50 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

MMMMMMM, oreos. Move next door to me so I can eat your leftovers.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Uncle Phatato said...

You posted video on your blog a while ago and I was curious to how you did it. I'm wanting to post some on mine. Do you think you can let me know how to do it? I'd be so grateful!

Thanks,

Uncle

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home