Sunday, September 02, 2007

Slainte! My Lengthy Farewell Post

We're heading for Ireland pretty soon, so this will be my farewell post.

Good News Bulletins:

1) That numb spot on my leg has all but disappeared. I ignored your good advice and did not go to a doctor, not because I didn't think it was a good idea, but because I was so busy. Which is not a good excuse for not seeing a doctor, I know. But still! My leg has not fallen off, and we may rejoice.

2) On Friday I went in to work at 8:30 in the morning, and I left work only thirty minutes later than planned. Excellent.

Lengthy Bad News Bulletin:

I'm taking a graduate course online this Fall, both for my personal growth and so I can get promoted again down the road. My employer is paying the bulk of the tuition, but I'm still paying a nice chunk out of my own pocket.

As some of you probably know, Virginia has no Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS) programs, which means that I had to go out-of-state, which is naturally more expensive. Plus I get stuck paying fees for things I will never use, such as the new student union building. I'm sure it will be very nice thanks to my $30 mandatory contribution. Rock on, students. Keep the bathrooms clean in case I ever come for a visit.

Anyhow, I emailed the professor back in July, before applying to the college, just to make sure that my two-week absence (Ireland trip) in September would not be a problem. She said no, no problem, you can just work ahead in the course. But when I emailed her last week to remind her of the trip, she urged me to get online as often as possible during my travels to keep my participation points up. Argh! The point of this vacation was to AVOID COMPUTERS ENTIRELY.

But, okay. I'll do my best. And as long as I'm online doing SCHOOL WORK on my VACATION, I might drop in here to say hello.

Things I am Anxious About:

1) My new carry-on bag. I have this fear that it will not fit under the seat in front of me on the plane, even though the measurements indicate that it will. Why? These are just the kinds of things that I worry about.

Mike and I never sit on the aisle because I like to be next to the window. If the bag doesn't fit under the seat, I'll have to put it in an overhead bin, which means that every time I want something from my bag I'll have to crawl over the person in the aisle seat. And I am a Certified Frequent Bag-Digger. I always need something: my Burt's Bees, my hand lotion, a Kleenex, my book, gum, etc. I cannot be separated from my bag.

I bought this bag because 1) it's supposed to fit under the seat, 2) it has lots of compartments to help you stay organized, and 3) it has wheels. Our trip to Italy two years ago left me dreaming of a bag with wheels. Our plane arrived late in Germany, and we had less than an hour to go through customs and make it to our connecting flight to Venice, clear on the other side of the huge airport. Result: We ended up running Amazing Race-style for a good quarter of a mile through the airport, our shoes and belts in our hands and our bags hanging from our necks. It was great.

2) Getting on the plane. I have no fear of flying whatsoever. It's the airports that make me break out in a cold sweat lately. Crowds, lines, and lost luggage. Please just let us get to Ireland as scheduled, and let all our bags be waiting for us. Please do not let airport security force me to throw out everything in my carry-on. Amen.

And finally:

3) Driving in Ireland



Eeek... from Liz and Vimeo.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Have a good time! I am a big worrier, too ;)

For some reason the video is marked as a private clip?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Zen Master said...

Have fun in Ireland! Take lots of pictures as I will be vacationing vicariously through you...accent and all.

Oh and the online class, depending on how your teacher set it up,it might be that you have to get like 5 posts a week to get participation points for the week in which case you can log in once and do all your posts on one day and still get your points.

If it's something like 3 posts a day...sorry.

They always encourage you to login all the time. But it's really the participation rules that tells you how they really feel about it. Know what I mean?

The clip is private?

2:02 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Yeah, I got the clip is private thing too. Are you just trying to tease us? :P

Are you sure you have to drive in Ireland? I was only there a few days, but I think we just walked within towns and took trains or buses between them. That might save you some hassle and depending on the cost of the car, it might save you some money.

I hope you two have a safe, wonderful, fantastic, memorable, terrific holiday!!! :)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sorry, sorry! Try the video again. I accidentally set it as a private video the first time.

2:11 PM  
Blogger kj said...

have a ball, liz!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

You're like me -- a natural born worrier. Don't worry about the driving! It will be fine. ESPECIALLY on Sundays -- Ireland is one giant ghost town on Sundays.

Bon voyage! You're going to have so much fun!

10:23 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Ahh!! So you are one of those 'Window Sitters'!! The ones who leave their footprints on my chest getting to the overhead storage! My worst airport experience was at the Charles DeGaulle airport in Paris!! It's HUGE, at least 2 miles from the incoming terminal to the outgoing one! And NO ONE spoke a word of English!! Swahili???? No problem!!
But you are not going thru Psris so DON"T WORRY!! Just have a great time and take lots of pics!! And stay away from Paris!!!!!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

i studied abroad in ireland for a semester the parts i can remember were fantastic! have a safe and happy trip, and steer clear of the cliffs!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Have fun in Ireland! Take lots of pictures. I drove back and forth to Univ. of Maryland for several years to get my masters degree. They did not have many online programs then.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Goodness me, don't stay away from Paris! It's wonderful, and gorgeous, and full of people who speak French. Because um, it's in France. Why the %#$@ should they speak English?!

Have a luverly time in Ireland and stop stressing over the bag. It'll fit.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Have fun, Liz!! And good luck with the driving in Ireland. That is one thing I have not attempted to do in Europe - is drive. I've always taken the train, subway, cab, bus and even had a private guide once - but never drove. This is a "general" statement, but it seems that in the larger cities (Paris, London, etc), they drive quite fast and very close to each other. Even when I was on the bus or cab, it always looked like we would be bumping into the car in front of us...or to the side.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Well at least your leg is better in case you need to run through the airport. See what an optimist I am.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home