Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Donna Martin graduates!

So yesterday the best thing EVER happened. I was up at the reference desk and a professor stopped by and said, “Did any of my students tell you that I used you as an example in class yesterday?” And since she’s a nursing instructor, I laughed nervously and said, “Uh, example of what?”

  • How some people will foolishly sacrifice their podiatric health for a pair of killer heels?
  • How seasonal allergies make the eyes red and puffy?
  • How generic tissues will leave your nose dry and peeling?
  • How NOT to sit at a desk: all slumped over the keyboard with your (peeling) nose two inches from the screen?

“Posture!” she said. “We were talking about the importance of keeping the shoulders back and the chest open and I told them, go watch Liz, the blonde librarian! She has the most beautiful posture!”

I sat up straighter. “I have beautiful posture?”

“You move so gracefully! Were you a dancer?”

People.

People!

PEOPLE! She asked if I was a DANCER!

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you may know that I really admire dancers. Honestly, 'admire' is too mild a word. It’s more like I adore and envy them and long to be them and furtively watch them in the gym like a sweaty-palmed psychopathic stalker. So for her to ask if I used to be a dancer? Shot me to a beautiful, heavenly place where angels fly and choirs sing. No, I am not a dancer, but I LOOK LIKE I MIGHT BE. I’ll take it.

A few hours later I was pirouetting gracefully through the reference section when I heard a student gasp.

“Oh my God!” she said, rushing over to me. “Did anyone ever tell you that you look like--“

I waited patiently, knowingly.

“--Tori Spelling? Oh my God, you look just like her!”

I stared at her.

“No one’s ever told you that you look like Tori Spelling?”

“No,” I said flatly. “No one has ever told me that I look like Tori Spelling.”

“I can’t believe it!” the student gushed. She turned to her friend. “Doesn’t the librarian look just like Tori Spelling?”

Her friend agreed. “Totally.”


I do not know what to make of this.

Was Tori Spelling a dancer? Please tell me Tori Spelling was a dancer.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

For the record, you do NOT look like Tori Spelling. I personally think you're more attractive than Tori. I can't speak to your posture, though.

I was doing some kind of team-building training session at work, and the instructor told me I look like a dancer. That's probably a good thing since I am one.

I've been told I look like Sissy Spacek, Kim Cattrall and Reese Witherspoon. I don't think any of them look similar, so I'm very confused. And then I always start thinking "Did he/she mean that as a compliment?" It's interesting how different each perosn's frame of reference is.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I checked Wikipedia, and it does not mention dancing, but she is ordained as a minister and has presided over 5 same-sex marriages ;)

3:49 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

yeah, you are waaaaaay rettier than Tori, and I don't think nearly so much of a flake : )

I have been told I look like Bridget Fonda on more than one occasion (esp. in Single White Female), and also a young Jamie Lee Curtis. I'll take it.

4:55 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

prettier. with a p. not that rettier isn't a compliment.... : )

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next time someone tells you you look like Tori Spelling, slap them silly. I think she is ugly with those big bug eyes.

9:02 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

OK, OK... I suppose Tori Spelling danced a few times in her lifetime but you look nothing like her!! But I'm sure that you have wonderful posture!!

The wildfires have calmed down a bit here today. Full moon tonight and it's red from the smoke!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I don't think that Tori Spelling is so awful, it's just that I've never been compared to any celebrity before, and when it finally happens I'm compared to....Tori? Donna Martin? SO NoTORIous?

Yesterday Bearette reminded me of some online test I took where you upload your picture and it tells you which celebrities you resemble. One of my results was Whitney Houston, which only proves that this whole business of celebrity look-alike is completely wack.

7:09 AM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

i'm not sure but i could have sworn i recently saw an article about tori spelling pole dancing.

so in that sense, yes, tori spelling IS a dancer.

plus she's got nice boobs.

10:53 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Not a single picture I have seen of you ever made me think of Tori. Which is good, because I don't think she's even terribly attractive.

And reading the first part of the post reminded me to sit up straighter. lol

12:50 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

As long as they(the computer people) were comparing you to the sober, clean 80's version of Whitney, then not so bad. Of course, I don't think your hair would EVER do what hers did during that era. :) They are kind of interesting to see what pops up though. I'm too afraid to do one of my own.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

You do not look like Tori Spelling. You are beautiful. She is scary.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Uncle Phatato said...

It's OK, my first year of teaching high school, before I moved down to middle school...the students were convinced I looked like Clay Aiken. I still haven't recovered from that.

10:43 PM  
Blogger kj said...

i think you are more attractive than tori spelling too.

liz, do you watch 'dancing with the stars'? it is awesome. and tori spelling was in the audience last week watching jennie garth (sp?) dance.

:)

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home