Friday, October 12, 2007

The faults of husbands are often caused by the excess virtues of their wives

Here is a story of my Friday morning. It was great, and then it wasn't. But in the end, it was great again.

A soft fffffffffff, ffffffffff on my face. My first glimpse of the day is my dog’s eyes, two inches from my own, his face a smudge against the dark of the room. Okay, Alex. We’re awake.

I’ve never been able to resume sleeping after an interruption, so I roll out of bed and into my sweatpants. Feeling virtuous, I set out on the dark street for a brisk walk. It’s cold enough that I have to pull my hood up, dark enough to require a reflective armband. I enjoy seeing the lights go on in the houses I pass, people stumbling to their cars in hopes of beating the traffic; some already departed.

I get to a steep, grassy hill and sprint up and down, something I feel silly doing in the daylight. But in the obscurity of early morning, I huff and puff, stagger and stumble to my heart’s content. I am Rocky.

Oh what a wonderful morning!

A good stretch on the street corner, then back inside for a shower. Afterwards I use my new love, my Pink Sugar Body Mousse, and it smells delicious. I make my breakfast, feeling virtuous once again as I combine oatmeal, soy milk, and raspberries in a bowl. I add some ground flax seed for good measure. Am I healthy, or what?

Oh what a wonderful day!

I get dressed for work. The nip in the air means that I can wear corduroy pants and my newest boots. This makes me happy. Look! I have a belt that matches the boots and I didn’t even realize it! Hot damn.

I’ve got a wonderful feeeee-ling!

Mike is leaving for work for an early meeting and I kiss him goodbye. We debate about whether we should go to 2 Amys or Pizzeria Paradiso tomorrow. It’s a delicious dilemma. Anyway, he’s gotta go. We’ll talk tonight.

Everything’s going my way!

Look at me! I'm not rushing. I am ready to go and I still have ten minutes to spare!

I head downstairs and love up my dog for what is probably an embarrassing amount of time. I tell him I’ll be home by 6:30 p.m. He gives me the Eyes of Heart-Breaking Sadness. Somehow I wrest myself free of the guilt force field and head into the dining room to collect my things.

Work bag, lunch, keys…

Keys?

No keys.

Not in the key dish, or on the table, or the counter. Not in my purse, or my coat pocket, or my work bag.

Suddenly, I know. I know.

They are in the ignition of my car. My car, which has been on all night. I am certain.

I go to the garage to confirm what I already know. Half-heartedly, I turn the key.

Nothing.

I call Mike. He is already at work and about to begin his meeting. I explain the situation, and I don’t even have to ask. He puts his hand over the phone and talks to someone for a moment, then tells me he’ll be home in 20 minutes.

When he arrives, we push my car into the street, connect the cables, and jump the battery. He does it with a smile on his face. Never is there a trace of annoyance or impatience. He doesn't remind me that I've doubled his driving time. He doesn't remind me that this is the second time in a year that I’ve done this.

He’s only happy that he was able to help.

There’s nothing like indulging in a morning full of self-admiration and then realizing that your husband is definitely the better half, now and forever.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

um, you are lucky you didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Your husband better start checking your keys : )

7:17 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

The engine wasn't running, the car was just turned on. Come on, I'm not that much of a dingbat. ;)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

What a wonderful guy you have there, BUT to save you and him the inconvenience next time (yep, there'll be a next...we all end up with dead batteries for one reason or another) there's this really cool gadget that we found a few years back. We went through a stint of dead batteries due to dome lights getting left on in vehicles and finally got fed up. It is a battery charger with "quick start" option. You plug it into an outlet and it gives you a jump. Very cool. :) (of course then your husband doesn't get the chance to fulfill his husbandly duties)

11:49 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

What a sweetie you have! And that gadget that Roxanne mentioned sounds like a good idea. That is, if Mike wants to be partially replaced by a gadget. lol

11:23 AM  
Blogger Suse said...

There are other gadgets to replace husbands too. Apparently.

(But yours sounds good).

4:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne- that's first on my Christmas list.

Suse- I will neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of these "other gadgets".

10:03 AM  
Blogger kj said...

aaah, what a sweet story. you married a good guy. you deserve eachother. fantastic....

9:29 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

What a great story you have shared...now onto the most pressing question: does your husband have any brothers?? lol. ;-)

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home