Monday, October 22, 2007

My husband is like Carson Kressley, but straight

The weekend's mission: Find a dress to wear to an upcoming wedding.

I don't own single stitch that's appropriate for an outdoor November wedding. Of course, it was back up to 82 degrees today, so if this continues I can probably wear a bikini to the ceremony. (Mike and I finally got around to watching An Inconvenient Truth this weekend and now I feel creeped out whenever I look at the sun. We albino-types will be the first to perish.) But I have to believe that the temperature will eventually drop like it's supposed to, and so shopping was inevitable.

I'm an introvert. My body thrives on large doses of quiet and solitude. Shopping malls, with all the bright lights and crowds and smells and noises, zap my energy almost faster than I can blink. My mom and sister begrudgingly allow me to shop with them each year on Black Friday, because I enjoy spending the day with them and the sales are good. But by the one hour-mark my eyes are glazed over and my mouth is involuntarily hanging open and my mother grasps me by the shoulders and shouts, "COFFEE? DO YOU NEED COFFEE?" and my sister is all, "I TOLD YOU SHE COULDN'T HACK IT."

Late Saturday afternoon my husband and I headed to Tysons Corner Center, a local shopping mall that's roughly the size of Alaska. Mike was going along as my Motivational Shopping Assistant, and to make sure that I would return home with an actual dress and not a citrus reamer or a strawberry huller, as I am wont to do when I go dress shopping.

He did a rather impressive job. By the end of a shopping marathon, I was the happy owner of a coordinated ensemble.

"Try this one on," Mike had suggested, as I wandered aimlessly through the store. I pulled one of the dresses off the rack.

"No, try this size," he'd said, trading with me. "It'll fit better."

It fit perfectly. What planet is this man from?

It's got long sleeves with smart cuffs, a fitted bodice with a collar and four buttons, and a skirt that hits just above the knees. If I utilize all four of the buttons, I can wear it to work, too. I plan to cinch it at the waist with a large belt.

Mike also orchestrated the purchase of some accessories and shoes.

A necklace with dangly earrings to match...

And please meet my new darlings, liberated from Bloomingdale's:



Yes, I know. They're completely inappropriate for an outdoor wedding, unless you're planning to aerate the country club's lawn. But I've been looking for the perfect pair of red heels for years and now they're mine and dammit, I'm going to wear them.

And if it's cold enough, I have another accessory to wear to the wedding, and it's even better than the shoes. See what the lovely and talented Bearette made for me?

It's so incredibly soft and warm, with a cheery pompom on top. I wore it around the house all night after it arrived, and was tempted to sleep in it, too. It's the best hat ever.

Alex agrees.



Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

I don't think I've ever heard of an outdoor Nov. wedding. But I think that hat will be perfect. :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I'm with His Suzy -- what's with an outdoor November wedding? That's just cruel. Although last week I went to a wedding in Seattle. I'd liken an October wedding in Seattle to an August wedding in D.C. -- incredibly inappropriate climate-wise.

Those shoes are HOT. Love them! On Saturday I bought a purse in that exact color, and I adore it. Maybe we should color-coordinate one day.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Oh wait, I almost forgot -- did you know that Carson Kressley thinks red shoes are only for hookers? He said that once. That's when I stopped watching Queer Eye.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That's awesome! It really suits you. And Alex :)

7:43 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

my god, those shoes are GORGEOUS.

1:07 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

not that i could walk in them or anything...

1:07 AM  
Blogger kj said...

i love your whole family, even the shoes.sorry to say you couldn't look better than alex, not possible.

:)

1:41 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

kay- you can have custody of the shoes this week. I'll take the handbag next week. And I'm getting a sick kind of thrill out of the idea that Carson Kressley might call me a hooker.

Babel- have you heard of Camileon shoes? They have adjustable-height heels! http://www.camileonheels.com/


kj- that's the thing. it's impossible to compete with such an adorable dog.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I agree, loving the shoes. And Bearette, awesome job on the hat.

But where is the picture of the DRESS?!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

The hat is the perfect accessory to top off the whole ensemble!
To pom-poms!

5:59 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Nice stuff!! Especially the cap!! If it gets really cold you can pull it down over your ears!! How GREAT would that look??

10:12 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Alex looks TOO cute!

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home