Monday, November 05, 2007

I got out of bed early to write this lame post

Life has been busy lately. I'll work a full day today, then teach a class from home tonight. And so it will continue until the week of Thanksgiving, when the "work" will morph into the dusting of spare rooms, the making of multiple trips to the grocery store, and the ironing of tablecloths. Yes, we are hosting again this year. This will be the third year, so I guess it's officially a tradition.

I've always been more of a morning lark than a night owl, and now that it's dark by the time I leave work, I seem to be falling asleep earlier and earlier in the evenings. Poor Mike. He could almost relive his bachelorhood, if only he could pretend that there wasn't a wife-like woman asleep on his couch.

We broke down and put the flannel sheets on our bed yesterday. You know it's time when you start grimacing as you approach the bed, anticipating the icy shock. Last night Mike and I gingerly slid under the covers with gritted teeth, then slowly relaxed, uncurled our toes, and sighed, "Ahhhh."

The way I felt when I woke up this morning must be something akin to heaven. Thick Flannel Sheets + Cushy Pillow Top Mattress = Lovely. Seriously, I think I dreamed that I was sleeping in a cozy nest of warm marshmallows. There is something to be said for icy sheets, though. They make it much easier to drag your ass out of bed when the alarm goes off.

Now that you're fully informed about the nature of my winter season bed linen preferences, I have to discuss the last episodes of The Sopranos. WARNING: if you are one of the last people on Earth who has not seen them yet (and don't feel bad; I was in that club until just a few days ago), stop here.

Why didn't you guys TELL me that Christopher dies? And Bobby! And Sil! Okay, Sil wasn't actually dead by the last episode, but it seemed to be heading that way. And I loved Sil, with his perpetual sneer and his aubergine suits. Oh my God, I almost had to take a day off work to sort through my feelings about it.

And the very last eipsode: WTF? I mean, seriously: what's up with that tortuously abrupt ending? We stared at the black screen, mouths hanging open, waiting for the next scene, or the epilogue, or something. And finally, reluctantly, we turned off the television and held each other, because it was over. It was all over! I'm getting a little weepy just thinking about it.

At least it provided Mike and I with three solid hours of lively conversation, as we love to analyze everything and I'm pretty sure that by the end of 180 minutes we had arrived at absolutely no conclusion whatsoever, except: WTF? Oh my God, the guy who went into the bathroom! And Meadow couldn't park her car, what does that mean? And they were sharing onion rings! And the Journey song! And the Boy Scouts at the back of the restaurant!

Yes, I definitely need to take the day off.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Zen Master said...

I put flannel sheets on our beds yesterday too. Snuggly.

8:33 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I can't wait til I can afford flannel sheets again. The ones I had before were for a single bed and now I need bigger ones. I mean, I'm in the great north, I need flannel sheets!! lol

9:49 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I think we should all pitch in some dough and get Suzy some flannel sheets as a late housewarming gift. ;)

Never did get into the Sopranos, partly because we don't have HBO and partly because I'm not too intrigued with the whole mob thing. But it does sound very interesting when you talk about it. :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I've never watched the Sopranos, but I knew about the ending...my FIL thought they left it ambiguous so they could make a movie.

Our bedroom is sadly quite stuffy so no flannel sheets for us. Sometimes I sleep on the couch just b/c it's cooler out there :)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:40 PM  
Blogger TeacherBee said...

I get really hot in the night. So I just wear my robe to bed and fling it off in the middle of the night.

I knew all about the Sopranos ending and I've never seen an episode!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

You're making me want to go lay on my flannel sheets right now. Good night.

1:21 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

The flannels go on the bed tonight!!!!

Never watched the Sopranos, thought I was raised in NJ, because of no HBO. Heard about the ending tho.. Glad you enjoyed it!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Mike was all excited over the last couple of episodes because one of the mobsters was making calls from a gas station pay phone in Oyster Bay, Long Island, where he grew up.

Oyster Bay! Famous for more than just Teddy Roosevelt's estate!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home