Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, bitch

So yesterday was my birthday. Aside from having to get up early and go to work, it was a pretty good day. Traffic was light, my co-workers surprised me with a carrot cake, and no one told me that I look like Tori Spelling. One of my co-workers also brought me a big bag of her homemade Chex mix, which is like eating crack that has been slathered in melted butter, salted, and baked to a golden brown. I devoured most of it on the way home, shoveling huge fistfuls into my mouth and developing a nice, buttery sheen on my face. I could have gone sunbathing if I’d been in Miami.

When I got home, I went straight upstairs and got cozy with a book while my husband cooked dinner for me. In case you’re wondering, the menu was salad, tomato-mushroom soup with fresh basil, rosemary bread, and baked apples. It was delicious.

All in all, a very nice birthday.

Speaking of Tori Spelling (sort of), did any of you catch Jeopardy last week when they had the Beverly Hills, 90210 category? Frema totally would have rocked it, but I knew a couple of them. When Alex Trebek said, “On ‘90210’, the gang hung out at this joint where Nat dispensed advice with the pie”, I screamed, “WHAT IS THE PEACHPIT!” and repeatedly pumped my fists in the air until I noticed Mike staring at me.

Perhaps I should use some of my amazing brain power to halt global warming?

Anyway, several of the following 90210 items were videos, which featured Tori Spelling reading the clues. I noticed Mike studying her face.

Mike: You know…

Me: DON’T SAY IT.

Mike: …well, it’s not like you’re identical twins or anything, but…

Me: STOP.

Mike: …I can see the resemblance.

Me:

Mike:

Me: You have totally ruined my intellectual high.


Despite the wonderfulness that was Tuesday, Wednesday finds me suffering from an unusual, unbearable, and nearly uncontainable Bitch Syndrome. Suddenly, my sense of humor is gone. I have zero patience. Routine questions that I normally don’t mind answering over and over are driving me batshit insane. A library patron dared to answer her loudly ringing cell phone and I swear to God, red laser beams shot out of my eyes and destroyed it.

I am trying mightily to climb out of shrew mode, but so far I haven’t succeeded. So in the meantime, how about this: I got an iTunes gift card for my birthday and I have no idea how to spend it. Please distract me with some song suggestions? What are you loving these days? I’ll listen to everything you suggest and write a follow-up with my selections. I like all kinds of music, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

I’m off to eat more Chex mix. That ought to help.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger nejyerf said...

i just finished reading all of your posts since 11/9.

sheer brillance.

even though you don't like the princess bride i think i love you. let's run away together. you can bring your dog.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

You might like "At Worst...the Best of Boy George & the Culture Club"...a kind of greatest hits collection with such classics as I'll Tumble 4 Ya, Karma Chameleon, etc. I also just heard "This Christmas" sung by George Michael at a store and must confess a fondness for it.

(I must be in a fey mood...)

Also, I think 80s music always shakes the mean reds.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Happy belated birthday!

Also, I saw that episode of Jeopardy! And you'll be happy to know that I did NOT think of you when Tori Spelling read the clues.

As for music, I'm going through an oldies kick right now. I'm totally ashamed to admit this, but the last song I downloaded was "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones. Makes me smile every time. I also downloaded "Sh-boom (Life Could Be a Dream)" by The Chords and "Twist Again" by Chubby Checker. I'm all about upbeat songs.

And Bearette and I must be on the same wavelength because I recently added Wham!'s "Last Chrismas" to my iTunes library as well.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Kay - I like It's Not Unusual too; I have it on a "Groovy 60s" compilation :)

I should download that Wham song.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

Happy Birthday my fellow Sag!

Now, to songs (and remember, you did ask):

- "1234" - Feist (think the iPod/iPhone commercial)
- "The Devil Never Sleeps" - Iron & Wine
- "Comfortably Numb" - Dar Williams with Ani DiFranco
- "Rock of Ages" - Duhks
- "Sticks + Stones" - Bruce Hornsby
- "Lowdown" - Boz Scaggs (the slowed down jazz version...very cool)
- "Lake of Fire (live)" - Nirvana
- "Wonderful Tonight" - Fatboy Slim
- "Believe" - The Bravery
- "The Pretender" - Foo Fighters
- "Thrash Unreal" - Against Me!
- "Mistaken for Strangers" - The National
- "In your Mind" - Built to Spill
- "True Romance" - She Wants Revenge
- "Hey There Delilah" - Plain White T's
- "The Mixed Tape" - Jack's Mannequin
- "Empty Walls" - Serj Tankian
- "True Nature" - Jane's Addiction
- "These Days" - Gregg Allman (although this one's a bit of a downer)

I could go on, because that's just on XM and I haven't even gotten to my iPod yet, but...well, the list is beginning to get a bit ridiculous.

12:34 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

I visit here alot but my comments here are few and far between. The reason is that by the time I finish laughing and drag my sorry butt off the floor, I'm just too worn out to continue.

Sadly, I only have one song suggestion. Anything John Berry, but as he is/was a Country singer, listen before you buy!! (Not sure about your musical tastes) But his version of O Holy Night will simply kill you!
It's playing on my msn space (ruserious0947.spaces.live.com) if you want a sample listen!! Or not.

3:08 AM  
Blogger TeacherBee said...

Happy Birthday!

I can sympathize with your laser beam mentality. My patience with my kids this week has gone string thin; by the time I get home, I'm all out of it. My husband knows to beware.

My favorite songs at the moment are:
Meiko - Reasons to Love You
Kate Earl - Someone to Love
Maria Taylor - A Good Start
Feist - I Feel It All
Anything by The Sounds is the most fun your ears will ever have.

Happy shopping!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, all! Keep the song suggestions coming. I'll dive into them this weekend.

Bearette- I've heard that when you have the mean reds, the only thing that does any good is to jump into a cab and go to Tiffany's.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

It's true - and eat breakfast there ;)

Since Caffeinated suggested Feist, I'll throw in Mushaboom & My Man, My Moon by Feist.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oh, and "Protection" by Everything but the Girl if you are in a very, very mellow mood. "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order and "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode for a dance-y mood. "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee for a campy mood. Okay, I'm done.

Also, I've always liked "In God's Country" by U2, one of their non-obvious songs.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Happy birthday!
I second anything by Feist. I have also been unable to stop listening to The Go! Team (not to be confused with the 80's band The Go Team).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go%21_Team

Whee!

10:03 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Happy Birthday!! I'm glad it was an awesome day even if the day after hasn't been so hot. Is it the day-after let down? lol

8:53 PM  
Blogger Life in a tiki hut said...

happy birthday! my cousin was on 90210...she was andrea

11:05 PM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

Alright, round 2 - going through iTunes "last played" list:

- "Mornin' Dove" - Robinella and the CC Stringband
- "Northern Sky" - Nick Drake
- Springsteen (but you probably have those already)
- "No Sleep Tonight" - The Faders
- "Love Me like a Man" - Bonnie Raitt
- "Alabama" - John Coltrane (one of the best songs of all time)
- "Freak like Me" - Adina Howard
- "Hell" - Squirrel Nut Zippers
- "Fluorescent Adolescent" - Arctic Monkeys (If you don't already haven't already gotten this whole cd, well...what are you waiting for?! It's fantastic.)
- "These Foolish Things" - Billie Holiday and her Orchestra
- "Jeito Faceiro" - Virginia Rodrigues
- "My Poor Old Heart" - Alison Krauss and Union Station
- "The Night" - Morphine
- "Hey Julie" - Fountains of Wayne
- "Tomorrow is a Long Time" - Nickel Creek
- "SOS (Sound of Silence)" - Trinity FM
- "Sabotage" - The Beastie Boys
- "Home" - Marc Broussard
- "Keep the Car Running" - Arcade Fire
- "Salala" - Angelique Kidjo
- "Miss Murder" - AFI
- "Baby did a Bad Bad Thing" - Chris Isaak
- "Dream On" - Depeche Mode
- "Tell Me 'Bout It" - Joss Stone
- "L Train" - Son Volt
- "You Are the one" - Shiny Toy Guns...

Got more but gotta go...

8:19 AM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

"don't already haven't already gotten?"

*sigh* More coffee...

8:21 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

A 90210 category? AWESOME.

In terms of music, I suggest the new KT Tunstall CD, Drastic Fantastic. Luke and I listen to it all the time in the car, and I plan on bringing it into my labor room. "Hold On" and "Hopeless" are my favorites.

Also, I'm not sure if you're a Tori Amos fan, but I saw her in concert last month and picked up her new CD, American Doll Posse, and that has some fun songs, including "Big Wheel," "Teenage Hustling," and "You Can Bring Your Dog."

Let us know what you end up sampling (and buying!).

And happy (belated) birthday!

10:38 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was a good one! :)

I can't offer much in the way of music, because I'm listening to the new Jane Green on audiobook (and that woman who does the weird American accents is reading it again, complete with weird American accents,) but I've really been on a big Jay-Z kick lately, but old Jay-Z, like "Dirt off your Shoulder," and "Big Pimpin'"

8:28 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Happy Belated B-day!!

Regarding music...hmmm...I like to listen to Broadway musicals - I know, not much help. Spamalot is pretty funny.

And I also like any of the 80's music - like Bearette is suggesting - Culture Club, Wham, etc. Good luck!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home