Friday, January 18, 2008

Riddle me this

So you've probably heard of Jeb Corliss, right? He's a professional parachuter who tried to jump off the Empire State Building back in April 2006. Corliss made it over the top of the curved fence that surrounds the top of the observation deck, but security guards reached through the fence and grabbed him before he could jump. He's back in the news because he recently filed a $30 million dollar lawsuit against the Empire State Building, alleging that guards unlawfully imprisoned him on the deck and caused him emotional distress (among other things). Read the whole story here, or see a video of the incident.

Corliss says that he had carefully planned the stunt so that the jump would be safe for him and pose no danger to the pedestrians below.

Here's my question: did anyone else on the observation deck know that? No.

If you like to jump off skyscrapers, that's cool. I've seen some of his stunts before, and they're really fun to watch. But if I were a guard on the observation deck of the Empire State Building and I saw someone attempting to jump, call me crazy-- I'd probably try to stop him. How are they supposed to know that he's a professional?

Here's my advice: if any of you want to jump off a skyscraper this weekend, call ahead and make an appointment first.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

actually, at the moment, I DO feel like jumping off a tall building, sans parachute. Do I still need an appt, you think?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Maybe not, but note that Jeb Corliss was not about to give birth when he did this. You may need to take a buddy who can help you climb over the security gate. ;)

11:36 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Who was the person who just happened to be there with the video camera??

7:20 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw him on The Today Show and heard that he was suing. It's cool to want to jump off shit, more power to ya, but there needs to be some warning.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

If I'm jumping off a building, just make my appointment at the nearest sanitorium.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home