Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The un-weekend

To celebrate the holiday weekend, we turned our house into a construction zone. Yes, new carpet is on the stairs, and the second floor is beautiful new hardwoods. You know how I stress about stuff like this, right? Remember the time I freaked out because Mike hired an unknown handyman to install new handles on our kitchen cabinets? Yeah. The anxiety gets jacked up just a few notches when the home improvement involves ripping up my floors.

But I needn't have worried, as usual. And if you think this valuable lesson will prevent me from worrying about the next project, you are dead wrong.

The company we hired was completely great. I researched it all very carefully, natch. The guys who did the hardwoods came on time and worked like mad all day. They didn't even take a lunch break! I was horrified and ran out to the store to buy some food and drinks, which they only consumed while they were working. Seriously, Coke in one hand, nail gun in the other.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't anticipate the terrific noise of this event. I was downstairs trying to watch the second season of Weeds with the volume on max, keeping one fearful eye on the ceiling fan. I was pretty sure that it was only a matter of time before it crashed to the floor. Alex was pretty sure that it was Armageddon.

(Speaking of Weeds, have you seen it? What do you think? I'm not sure it's all that believable. I mean, would a suburban mom with two young kids really take those kinds of risks when she's brand-new to widowhood? But I love Mary-Louise Parker, so there you have it.)

Man, I love that the carpet is gone. Mike said I was laughing maniacally as they carried the nasty rolls out the front door.

Revenge. It is sweet.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Yeah! Congratulations on the new hardwoods. I love our wood floors, especially with two cats. If I could, I've have hardwood flooring in the basement, but I'd have to install floor warmers, too, and that's a bit much.

Here's to many happy returns and decreased allergies with your new hardwoods!

Oh, and about Weeds: It's set in California. It's totally plausible. (And I'm saying that in all seriousness.)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks! Now we just need to find a long-enough runner for the hallway so Alex can resume his usual crazy-making.

Re: Weeds- really? She just seemed so timid in the beginning. I lived in CA for a while but never put "dealer" on my list of career possibilities. Then again, I wasn't a suburban widow. ;)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hardwood floors are the best. I haven't seen Weeds yet, but maybe I should.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Uncle Phatato said...

Sometimes the un-weekends are the best weekends.

2:12 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I wish we had more hardwood/tile and less carpet. The carpet here is old and crappy, but there hasn't been the money to replace it. Someday.

I saw a few episodes of Weeds. I like MLP too, but it didn't really grab me.

8:45 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Sounds like your abobe is looking GREAT!! Noisy workers are a pain but sounds as if you hired good ones!!

When we bought this place it was all carpeted but upon further examination, there were hardwood floors in every room! Removing the GOLD carpets was a big plus!!! Removing the velvet wallpaper helped too!! UGH!!

Have a GREAT weekend and enjoy you new floors!! I'm sure that Alex will!!

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home