Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Big Reveal

Okay, two big announcements today!

First, I have completed the process of spending my $15 iTunes gift card, thanks to your great suggestions. It's a little embarrassing that it took me this long to spend 15 measly dollars, isn't it?

I wish I could have a big, fancy ceremony for announcing the song choices; wouldn't that be fun? We could dress up in fabulous gowns and tuxedos and you could congratulate each other on how fabulous your musical tastes are and we could all drink champagne and take home fabulous swag.

Unfortunately, all I have is a blog and an old prom dress, and the best swag I could muster right now would probably be some homemade cookies and old issues of Food & Wine. Plus, I really need to shower. So maybe you should fly to Australia and visit Suse, who might still be blogging naked. That sounds like a lot more fun.

Let me preface this by saying that I am far from being a music maven. My husband is veritable encyclopedia of music and seriously, if you ever go on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (is that show still on?) and you get stumped by a music question, Mike should be your phone call, no doubt about it.

If I hear something and I like it, I'll buy it, but I don't spend hours trolling Best Buy or iTunes. I lazily wait for music to come to me, which is why I appreciated your suggestions so much. And yes, I listened to every single one. If someone suggested an artist, I listened to a sampling of his/her songs. Some of it was familiar, some already on my iPod, but there were lots of pleasant surprises in there.

So without further ado (or champagne, or a fabulous ballgown), I hereby reveal the long-awaited iTunes selections!


1) As suggested by the lovely and swing dancin' Kay, my first purchase was "Sh-boom" by The Chords. An old favorite, and it makes me so happy. I'll dance to it and pretend that I have actual talent, like Kay.

2) Several of Caffeinated Librarian's suggestions hit the spot for me. Really, you should all be blaming her for the lengthy delay of this post, as she gave me about 500 songs to listen to. But she was undoubtedly the Queen of the Mix Tapes back in high school and could probably find you the perfect song for any occasion. Just listening to her suggestions made me feel infinitely cooler.

  • "1234" by Feist.
    CL noted that this was featured in an iPod commercial, and it was vaguely familiar to me. I like it!
  • "Wonderful Night" by Fatboy Slim.
    I have some of his stuff already, but I love this one. So great for working out or just car dancing as I drive home from work. I can already tell that I'll listen to it over and over until I have the lyrics memorized. Mike, YE HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's.
    Love it. This one falls into the category of Songs I Listen To When I Want to Pretend That I am Out Driving in the Country on a Beautiful Spring Day, Instead of Facing Reality, Which is DC Rush Hour in February.
  • "Mornin' Dove" by Robinella and the CC Stringband.
    See above for category.
  • "Hell" by the Squirrel Nut Zippers.
    This one goes on the Dinner Party Playlist. Nothing says "Welcome to our home!" like a song titled HELL.
  • "Flourescent Adolescent" by Arctic Monkeys.
    I just liked the beat. But the band's name conjures up a worrisome image of shivering monkeys.
  • "Poor Old Heart" by Alison Krauss and Union Station.
    Again... helps me pretend that I live in the country.
  • "Hey Julie" by Fountains of Wayne.
    Very peppy. Makes me wish my name were Julie, much like I long to be Cecilia when I listen to Simon & Garfunkel.

3) The hard-working Teacher Bee took a quick break from wrangling fourth graders to suggest some lovelies, and I really liked "Reasons to Love You", by Meiko. This song goes in the Long, Steamy Bubble Bath category.

4) Bearette suggested "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee, and I snapped it up. I have fond memories of singing this with my brother and sister back in the day, shrieking "OOOOH-HOO!" in the back seat of the station wagon. My parents loved taking long car trips with us.

5) Frema suggested a couple of albums: KT Tunstall's Drastic Fantastic and the new Tori Amos, American Doll Posse. Tunstall's new album broke when Mike and I were in Ireland, and she was all over the media there. So I downloaded "Hold On", because it reminds me of our Ireland travels. I already have a good amount of Tori, but I hadn't really explored American Doll Posse yet. I selected my two favorites, "Digital Ghost" and "You Can Bring Your Dog" (the last for obvious reasons... I would like any song with that title).

6) And with just 99 cents to spare, I went with fellow librarian Chrissy's recommendation of The Go! Team and bought "Grip Like a Vice". Everything by this group makes me want to run out and start cheering on a football field.

And with that, my iTunes gift card and I are spent. You guys are awesome.

But wait- I said I had two annoucements, didn't I? Okay... let's kick back to the Quiet in the Stacks pictionary days, since I've used up all my words for today.

Announcement #2:

Any guesses?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I think everybody would be happy with homemade cookies ;)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

i'm so glad the go! team made the cut! rah rah and all that.

4:00 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

forget the music. are you pregnant????

oh hi, by the way, i;m home with the fourth child : )

4:17 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Two pink lines! Go me! And go Liz!

Congratulations!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Congrats (again!) I can't figure out the drawing, though.

In WHMS, I would've been the guy screaming, "Baby fish mouth! Baby fish mouth!"

6:02 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

"Draw something resembling anything!"

Frema is correct... the answer is two pink lines. It appears that we are having a baby. :)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

woo hoo! congrats! the baby will be well read from the time he/she is born, i am sure of it!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oh, it looked like four lines to me, so I was thinking, "Does that represent Alex? Four legs?" :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

i glanced at the picture and thought the four lines must represent some kind of barbecue grill.

that would have been unpleasant.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Oh my! I'm so happy for you!!!

I had no idea what the pictionary meant until BB commented. But there are four lines. Twins?

ps. it's cooler today, I've put socks on.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

Congrats Liz and Mike! There must be something in the water up there. *grin* I'll be sending healthy, happy baby and mommy thoughts your way for the next few months.

As for the music, feel free to blame me - my friends always do. Although I had to laugh at "1234" by Feist because I put that on a mix I gave my friend Jordan recently. When he saw that song he squealed (in a manly sort of way) with displeasure and called it "the most annoying song of all time." But I agree with you, the song makes me happy and I love it.

Oh, and yes I was the Queen of the Mix Tapes back in high school.

And it wasn't 500 songs...more like 100...tops. ;-P

Glad you found some tunes you liked.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Yippee!! Can we all come over for some cookies and milk to help you celebrate??

12:46 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, everyone. :)

Suse- there's just one in there, as far as I know. The last picture was just supposed to represent "lines".

Roxanne- sure, come on over!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home