Monday, March 31, 2008

"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

So sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night because I need to pee for the third time and I decide that I will try to mentally prepare myself for having a baby and I force myself to think, What if... what if instead of just taking care of my own needs and then falling back into bed I had to walk down the hall right now and pick up a crying baby and walk back and forth and sing and breastfeed and rock in the rocking chair and change a diaper and swaddle the baby and sing some more and clean the spit-up off my t-shirt...and what if that were happening for the fourth time tonight?

And then my brain shuts down and I don't remember much after that.

By the way, I finally broke down and bought a Snoogle this weekend, a product previously snubbed because I thought $50+ was a ridiculous amount to spend on a special pregnancy pillow. But after many nights of tossing and turning and waking up with a creaky neck, I sped to the store and plopped it in my cart. Now I want to put a collar and leash on Snoogle and take it everywhere I go.

Verdict? Worth every single penny. Alex agrees.



Comfy!


In other news, our crib arrived, a gift from my father-in-law, and Mike assembled it on Sunday. Thank god the hardw are was clearly labeled.


I did a lot of research and read lots of reviews before selecting this crib (of course I did! you would expect nothing less!) and the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Still, it always amuses me how people can be at completely opposite ends of the opinion spectrum.

"This crib was impossible to put together! It took forever and the directions suck and I had three bolts left over and I've already called my attorney! BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"This crib was so easy to put together! I did it in ten minutes while giving birth!"

And then there are the reviews that require some translation:

"dont buy this crib 2 ne one. 2 manny splaches allover! horible stupid directins. WORSE CRIB EVER!"

Mike put it together in a couple of hours and we think it's great. But I have a carefully-researched lawyer on retainer just in case splaches become an issue.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

don't do all those crazy things - just take the baby to bed with you. you'll sleep longer than an hour at a clip, and i assure you that unless you have consumed a bottle of vodka (or Thunderbird...), you will NOT roll over on or otherwise crush the baby. seriously. did all that with Primo, finally got it right with Quarto....

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Kerry said...

I had a snoogle when I was pregnant, too. I liked it for the first few weeks and then I realized that I was sleeping worse with it than I had been before. It didn't work for me, but a lot of people say it's wonderful. Hope you continue to like yours!

2:03 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

The Snoogle looks like a heart pillow with Alex in the middle in that picture. Fitting, no? :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I spent thirty-five bucks on a Boppy support pillow, and it was the best money I spent while gestating. It not only helped me during pregnancy, it was a lifesaver during my c-section recovery. I recently handed it over to my sister, who's due in August, and almost wept in the process.

Also, there was a misspelling on the packaging for our changing table. Luke and I talked about it for DAYS.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I wish I had had one of those pillows back in my pregnancy days. I just remember shoving a ton of pillows under the belly and calling it good.

Unsolicited advice: I'd have to agree with babelbabe. I know not everyone is comfortable with co-sleeping, but if you are it can REALLY help with the whole sleep deprivation dilemma. My kids would start out the night in the crib so I'd get a few hours of completely restful sleep. Then when they were ready for that first nighttime feeding I'd just plop them in bed with us and shove the boob in (sounds appealing, eh?).

I'm sure you'll find what works for you, the baby, and hubs soon enough. Everyone has to find their own rhythm. Stop worrying (that's easy for me to say, I'm not pregnant!)! I'm sure if you get too tired that Alex will take over for a couple of feedings. ;)

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

i hate confusing my hardware with my hardw are. i've done that before -- i spent hours trying to get my screwdriver to work with the scr ews.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Babel- I just might do that. But only if there is room after Mike, Alex, Snoogle and I find our comfy spots. PRIORITIES.

kerry- so far I am greeting my husband with "HAIL SNOOGLE!" each morning, but if it betrays me at least it also makes a damn fine $55 dog bed. ;)

suzy- and I didn't even arrange it that way! Awex is so sweet, yes him is!

Frema- did you use the boppy for sleeping?

roxanne- I was doing the pillow thing for a while: 2 under my head to help my sinuses drain, one for back support, and one for the front between my knees. I woke up to retrieve pillows from the floor more than I woke up to pee!

I'm not too worried about most things, except for having to go to work exhausted. I'm not a person who deals especially well with little sleep. But as my mom says, "When you have to do it, your body will just do it."

I feel like a Nike ad.

jonathan- seriously, you need to buy yourself a scr ewdriver.

9:10 AM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

if i ever open my own funky boutique i'm going to name it "utterly too too"

now tell me liz...where did i get that phrase?!?!

don't disappoint me!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Nejyerf, surely you can do better than that! That's that bitch Nellie Olsen from Little House on the Prairie.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I most certainly did!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

God you're funny!

I completely agree with Babelbabe. I co-slept and breastfed with all three.

Actually tried the bottle thing for a bit with one of the younger ones too but fell asleep SITTING UP holding the bottle in the baby's mouth. I'm lucky I didn't choke him/her. (Can't remember if it was Azure or Sammy) Yeah, you get that tired.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home