Wednesday, March 26, 2008

oh hai

I don't have much time for posting this week; just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive. Quick updates:

Gestation:

I just ate an apple and the baby gave me an appreciative jab in the tummy, so things are going well in that department. Hopefully the baby will be a fruit lover like its mama- god knows I've eaten enough to stock an entire farmer's market since I've been pregnant. The baby likes to move around while I'm sitting at my desk. It's fun to sit still and wait for the little pokes (and also a little BIZARRE).


Belly size:

Growing in a way that is now noticeable from week to week. Before you could only tell that I was pregnant when I worn certain form-fitting clothes. Now I've graduated to a couple of maternity tops which accentuate the belly, even though I don't fill them out yet. People who didn't already know look, then look again, then say, "Are you...?" And I can SEE their thoughts floating in bubbles over their heads, like "OMG, I'm totally going to ask, but what if she's not, and then I'll feel like a complete moron, and maybe she'll punch me!" Sometimes I have mercy and bail them out with a cheery, "Pregnant? Yes!"

But sometimes not.


Mike:

Doing well. Has been taking fencing classes, did I tell you? Still cutting up pineapples for me and offering to run out for anything that qualifies as a "real craving" whenever he's not swinging a sword/lance/foil around (what are those things called?). Is eager to do his part, even calling a long list of area doulas since my first choice is already booked for August. Labor support doulas in this area can run $1,000 or more. I'm still cringing at the thought of spending that much money when there are so many other baby-related expenses, but we'll see. Maybe I can barter? Find a cheap intern? Find a less expensive one in rural Iowa and beam her into the birthing room via web cam?


Alex:

Still cute. Still cheeky. Eagerly runs up to me the minute I stir in bed in the morning, hoping that I'll reach for the delicious bag of saltines that's stashed in the drawer of my bedside table. If I don't, he places his paw on my face as if to say, "Look, I can be reasonable. One for you, and one for me."



He was once blessed by a Catholic priest, and it shows.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I think Alex would be a great (and free) doula :)

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

perhaps the fencing classes will make pineapple slicing an easier (and entertaining) process ...

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Oooooo, I like the idea of Alex as a doula. He seems to have it down already. Of course, seeing as he is afraid of the kitchen floor, a birthing room may send him completely over the edge. He'll be with you in spirit!

AND, baby gift for you has been started but will take time to complete. I wasn't joking when I said you would be getting something! Perhaps I'll wait until my much anticipated trip to Walnut Grove and DeSmet before sending anything. That way I can send it all at once.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous j.m. tewkesbury said...

I second Bearette's suggestion: Alex as doula. Good role for him.

And I think that thing Mike uses when fencing is called an epee, but don't quote me on that. All the other names sound reasonable to me.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Alex is so adorable. I wonder if he'll be vying for attention once the baby arrives?

12:38 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Alex for Doula! I picture him attending the birth wearing a red bandana tied around his head, kerchief-style.

(though I admit I'm a bit worried about his lack of opposable thumbs- won't that make pain-relief massage and positioning difficult?)

jonathan- what an excellent idea! will also come in handy for opening bottles of champagne...

betsy- thank you, that's so nice of you! I've been to Walnut Grove once, did I tell you?

tewkes- Epee! Yes. Thank you. You're as handy as dictionary.com!

elsa- funnily enough, Mike took him for a vet appointment yesterday and she gave him a handout on how to prepare dogs for a new baby. Maybe I'll share some of the tips and report on our progress (or lack thereof)...

1:24 PM  
Blogger YoMomma203 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous carolyn said...

Your husband goes out to buy you craving food! You are SO lucky.

Mine would have thrown me the car keys and said get it yourself. :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Maybe Alex can be the assistant doula? Doula in training?

So when do we get to see a picture of your noticable bump? :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Sweet Irene said...

Isn't it funny how people want to see photographs of a part of your anatomy that you would normally keep under wraps? As if suddenly that is not a private part of you anymore.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home