Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One of what I hope will be many sighs of relief



Spring is on its way. My crocuses are up and the tulips are hot on their heels.

Exhale.

I feel like I spend every winter holding my breath and waiting for it to be over. Of course, this year my pregnancy has provided a handy distraction, and I've not noticed the dark, cold days as much. First there was the constant worrying that something would go terribly wrong, and then there was the fun of telling everyone, and now there is researching of biodegradable diapers and day cares and wondering how I will manage to convince my employer to let me work part-time.

Especially that last thing. It is a major distraction right now, if "occupying my thoughts morning, noon and night" qualifies as a major distraction.

Part-time feels like the right choice for me. If you can pardon the cheese, I don't think I'll be the best me that I can be if I'm home all the time. I know myself well enough to know that working full-time isn't the answer, either.

I like my job. I'm also looking forward to being a mother. I want both.

I'm not going to drag out the tired old debate about SAHMs versus full-time work-outside-the-home moms. It's been done a thousand times and that's not the point of this post, anyway.
Here is the point:

After my three months of unpaid maternity leave, I want to reduce my work week to 20 hours. I want to do a job share, an arrangement in which my employer will hire someone else to work the other 20 hours. However, I want to retain rights to the full-time position so that I can go back to it, should I decide to do so.

(I would also like a private place to pump at work, and "bathroom stall" does not count. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a chance in hell of getting that last one, so if you ever walk into a public bathroom and see an orange extension cord snaking from the wall to a locked stall and hear strange noises from within, please don't assume the worst. Hi, it's just the librarian, milking.)
I don't think that's too much to ask, but I'm worried they'll say no.

And while there are soooo many wonderfully sane people out there who would slap me on the back and say, "Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet?" Har har har! Er, they don't know me very well, do they?

Anyway. I'm calling HR tomorrow. Wish me luck.

In other news, we painted the baby's room over the weekend. This elicited many gasps from people who wanted to know HOW WE COULD POSSIBLY PICK THE COLOR IF WE DON'T KNOW THE SEX OF THE BABY, since nurseries can only be blue or pink, of course.

We went with black. We're planning to hang a disco ball and put some blacklight posters on the walls- it'll be super awesome. Mike is campaigning for a Bob Marley theme, but I've already found a Psychedelic Mushrooms 'n Friends crib bumper that I'm crazy about.

New color at Benjamin Moore:
Mommy's Worst Nightmare.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I like the "senseless worry" category.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous DevilsAdvocate said...

A nursery painted black. That wouldn't warp a child at all.

9:23 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Hee hee! Crackin' me up with the black nursery.

I hope things go well with HR. Maybe you should suddenly move to Canada. I think it's a law here where you get a year's paid maternity leave. Something like that.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Teacher Bee said...

So that's what a crocus looks like. I got a bulb from a student for Christmas. I'm the killer of all things plantlife and thus it rotted before I ever got a chance to plant it.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I am sensing a LIttle House theme for the nursery. Farmer Boy? PLum Creek? These Happy Golden Years?

No? Well, black isn't such a bad choice. Just make sure you paint a giant pentagram in glow-in-the-dark paint on the ceiling.

1:20 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i just mailed the package yesterday.

i didn't even have a stall - i just pumped in the bathroom. embarrassing as all get out.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- feel free to borrow if necessary. ;)

devilsadvocate- don't worry, if the nursery doesn't do it, we'll find a way.

suzy- thank you.

jonathan- you've got me leaping about the room, throwing punches at my invisble adversaries.

teacher bee- crocuses are fairly wee and don't last especially long, but they are pretty.

betsy- OMG, I LOVE YOU. we weren't planning any themes but Little House never even entered my mind, which is shocking, because I plan to start my child on Laura Ingalls immediately after birth. He or she simply MUST like stories of trials and tribulations on the open prairie, OR ELSE.

babel- thanks. yeah, I guess it could be worse. pumping in the cafeteria, anyone?

1:48 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Hey,
Good luck with HR! I think part-time is awesome. And good luck with the bf stuff. Lots of states have laws requiring employers to provide time and "private" places for women to breastfeed/pump milk... Mine doesn't. But I have an office door -- woohoo! And, if I hang a little bf sign on the door... people will stay away for HOURS.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

OK, I am TOTALLY going to geek out on you for a minute (not like it hasn't happened before, but you know).

The Greenbush twins (Carrie) from the TV show LHOTP are coming to Walnut Grove this July. My cousin and I fully intend on going (it's only about an hour away- we went to see Dr. Baker about 7 years ago), and then we're going to head up to DeSmet. If I find anything baby, it will be coming your way.

'Cause I'm geeky like that.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Betsy- eeeeeeeee! I am really excited. Geeks unite!

mary ellen- I gave up a private office when I switched to my current job. I have a roomie, and nice glass window in the door. Broom closet, maybe?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I thought nobody did pink and blue nurseries anymore anyway. Who are all these people throwing their opinions around willy nilly?

Don't they know that only my opinons count?

I wish I could work part time. I am hoping that when Sammy goes to first grade, two years away, I can work something into the school day.

I miss working. Not only is it nice to get a paycheck, adult conversation is a good thing.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hey are you on facebook? I need to challenge somebody else to kick my ass at scramble. Babelbabe whomps me bad.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Good luck, Liz. The Internet is rooting for you.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home