Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Why?

I’m sorry, I know this question has already been asked millions of times by frustrated drivers everywhere. Why, WHY, do people always have to slow down to a near-stop and crane their necks to see what’s happening when there’s a flashing-lights cop car anywhere in the vicinity? WHY? WHY? WHY?

a) it’s not their fault- they’re hypnotized by the pretty blue lights
b) they’ve never seen a cop car before
c) they’re hoping to see a politician getting busted
d) maybe COPS is filming. Hi, Mom!
e) they are new to the area and don’t understand that during rush hour, people are in a rush.

WHY? DRIVE, people, put your foot on the gas pedal and assert gentle pressure and MOVE ALONG.

This has been a public service announcement.

I just went to Whole Foods and had to use all my willpower not to buy my weight in fresh fruit cups. God, they looked really good, all bright and dewey and winking at me from the refrigerated shelves. I bought just one and felt quite disciplined. I plan to attack the strawberries first.

In other news, it took me twenty minutes to find something to wear this morning. Heads up- I’ll be wearing it again on Thursday, so I’m sorry that I can no longer be the fashion diva you’ve come to expect. I am not looking so fierce these days, as Christian would say.

I tried on a pair of pants that were wearable just one short week ago, and I had to suck in my breath (which is mighty hard to do when you’re swearing) and use every ounce of finger strength to get them buttoned. I felt victorious until I realized that I couldn’t sit down without damaging my internal organs.

My mom is coming for a visit this weekend and we’re planning to go shopping on Monday and possibly Tuesday. It’s not a moment too soon, but I’m sort of dreading it. It’s not the maternity clothes themselves, honestly. I am fine with the fact that my belly needs to expand to make room for a baby, and my pants must follow suit. But now that 95% of my work wardrobe is unwearable, I feel as though my ability to, you know, go to work fully clothed is at stake. Avoiding the title of Naked Librarian hinges upon two days of shopping. I’m not the world’s best clothes shopper, as I’ve surely documented previously, and man, am I the only one whose hide gets pretty chapped when I think about paying $$$ for clothes that I can only wear for a few months? MY DADDY DIDN’T RAISE ME THAT WAY.

Anyhow, I’m going to buy as few new items as possible, and get the rest at thrift stores and from friends. Mike’s cousin in Jersey just had a baby and will loan me some clothes at the end of the month, but she’s five feet tall and I’m not counting on everything fitting. Although maybe I could wear her maternity pants as capris. Or shorts. Or hot pants. Heh. Maternity hot pants! I should totally invent those.

Or probably not.

Anyhow, does anyone have suggestions on the best things to buy for this awkward in-between stage? I’m too small for a mumu and too large for regular pants and shirts. I thought I would be sly and buy a couple pairs of regular pants in a larger size, but someone told me what a stupid idea that was. Naturally, I didn’t believe her until I tried on some larger pants and they fit better in the waist but looked clownish everywhere else.

I’ll believe you, though.

And if you don’t have any advice to share on maternity clothes, or you could care less (and really, who could blame you?) please comment on the first part of this post. If you’re one of those people who always slows down to look at the flashing lights, please EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I want to read Beginner's Greek too! But the library is taking FOREVER.

I wish I knew your wise friend who led you away from the larger, non-maternity pants...I fell into that trap.

Old Navy did have some in-between pants that I loved. They just have a small elastic waistband, not a panel. I'd send 'em to you but you probably need a small (mine are medium) and I'll probably wear those babies for a while after I give birth ;) But anyway, I recommend them.

And it DOES chap my hide. I guess we can get more than a few months' wear out of them if we have more than one baby.

12:51 PM  
OpenID dhakat said...

My sister just had a baby and found that the longer, empire-waist tops were very helpful--and very wearable--even after her pregnancy (found at Anthropology and Gap to name a couple of places).

Also, check tag sales for maternity clothes and other maternity/baby items that you don't wish to buy new.

Btw, congratulations on your pregnancy. I wish you every blessing and happiness.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Uncle Phatato said...

I slow down to look at the people slowing down.

And I only got your Christian reference because I actually watched Project Runway last night and had my fill. Wow. It always seems to work out that way.

2:01 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Ah, Christian. I think he has a shot at winning, but he's just so young and, well, arrogant!

I'm kind of sad that Chris didn't get to go, though. Then again, human hair as trim is a little creepy...

Speaking of maternity clothes, have you ever heard of the Bella Band? I'm not an expert by any means, seeing that I've never been in that blessed condition, but I remember seeing something about it and thought you should check it out. :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Here's the link, btw:

http://www.ingridandisabel.com/

2:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- Old Navy will be one of our stops. I desperately need a pair of jeans. I miss jeans, you know?

dhakat- thank you! it's fortunate that the empire-waist tops you mention are all over the stores right now. And we will definitely be checking out garage sales, especially for baby clothes. Talk about major expense for very little wear!

uncle phatato- so, is this your first time watching PR, or are you a veteran?

Bdogg- Thank you! I've heard about Bella bands but I wonder if they're really comfortable. Maybe I'll try one on.

And regarding PR- I was very sad that Chris got the boot. The hair concept was creepy, but it looked good! Christian has a good shot, but yes... he's such a whiny, arrogant little boy. The personality almost cancels out the talent.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'll admit it: I'm that person. I'm just really, really nosy. It's a reflex. Sorry!

And I'm no help on the maternity clothes. I mostly posted to ask that you tell us what you think of "Beginner's Greek." I've read some positive reviews of it and am thinking about adding it to the ever-growing pile.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, and I'm pulling for Jillian!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words: Bella-Band. That thing saved me during my in between stage from 8 weeks to 13 weeks. You can get them at any maternity store, they are GREAT! You just use them over your pants to cover up the fact that your pants are not buttoned or zipped, it just peeks out under your normal shirt and looks like you have a tank top on under it.

5:10 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

do NOT buy pants with the belly panel - it always shows and looks dumb.

and then kick your friends who promised to mail you their maternity clothes LAST WEEK in the butt for not doing it, and maybe - maybe - believe them when they say they will go out b Thursday which is the next day the babysitter is here...

I had good luck at thrift stores, and also Old Navy elasticized waist skirts, rather than maternity skirts....this last time I barely wore maternity clothes at all as I never got very big. WEIRD. but elastic waistbands and low-waisted cargo pants were my friends this time around...

8:47 PM  
Anonymous j.m. tewkesbury said...

I have nothing to offer vis-a-vis maternity fashion, except to say aren't you glad we're no longer consigned to the tent ware our mothers wore as the norm lo these many years ago?

As for rubberneckers, they are my biggest peeve in this area, too. Along with people who don't understand how to merge and exit properly. And people who do 55 in the fast lane and 85 in the slow lane. And... Oh, I could go on and on and on. Which is why, when I moved back to D.C., I chose to live in the city so I wouldn't have to contend a daily drive that would leave me insane and postal. It's been expensive, but worth every single ounce of my sanity.

STOP RUBBERNECKING FOLKS AND DRIVE! There's nothing to see here, so move along.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa- okay, but maybe you can look quickly while safely maintaining your regular speed? :) Go Jillian!

Beginner's Greek- I'm only around 100 pages in, but it's definitely entertaining. If I had a free day, I could probably breeze through it.

Anon- second recommendation for a Bella band! I'll have to try one. Can you only get them online?

Babel- no worries... rumor has it that you've been a bit busy lately. ;) I haven't bought anything new so far to accomodate my changing body, so my suffering is my own damn fault. I've really pushed it to the limit, though... I'm down to just two pairs of pants and at this point, none of my shirts can be worn without a sweater (and lately the temperature has been creeping up into the 60's...aiieeee!)

Tewkes- I can definitely appreciate the advantages of living in the city. I wish I were more of a city person. My dream is to live on a farm and have a magic Metro stop that pops up in my pumpkin patch when I want to go somewhere. :D

9:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Also- pre-pub alert! Any Jhumpa Lahiri fans in the house? She has a new book called Unaccustomed Earth coming out April 1st. Did anyone see the movie version of The Namesake? Thoughts?

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so lucky to be preggers in this day and age of no puffed sleeves and bows on maternity wear - seriously, that's what we had to deal with 25 years ago! Maybe check out Marshalls and TJ Maxx for empire tops to wear now, before you get too gigundo; they also have high quality, brand name baby clothes - nicer than what I usually find in department stores and they cost lots less too.
ann

1:45 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Target's pretty good. I got stuff on eBay too, and the sale section of the Mimi website.
Just my opinion, but I'm going to say the buy-bigger isn't such a terrible idea. They come in handy after the little guy/gal arrives, when you don't immediately return to your pre-baby size. (So unfair, that!)
Congrats on the pregnancy!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

I ADORE Jhumpa Lahiri, but haven't seen teh movie yet. Bit scared to, knowing the book/movie success rate really, although Atonement improved the rate recently.

Did that para make sense?

Anyway, you need elastic waist pants, empire style tops or long shirts, and don't forget to make yourself a huge pastel pink tent dress with a white peter pan collar. With a spotted ribbon under your chin.

You also need to have six children to make the dollar/wear ratio more financially viable.

(Another sentence that didn't quite make sense. I blame this new keyboard).

1:25 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Oh yeah - good call to Mary Ellen who mentioned eBay - sometimes people will have huge Gap Maternity lots on there, with lots of interchangeable pieces.

I like to look and see what's out there sometimes :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

anonymous- yes, my mother referred to the maternity clothes of yesteryear as "potato sacks".

mary ellen- I love eBay, but I'm afraid to buy maternity clothes online because I have no idea what size I am in the maternity world. I should have a better idea after the shopping extravaganza takes place.

Suse- I saw the movie a few weeks ago and wasn't horribly disappointed, but I can't remember enough of the details to draw comparisons. Let me know if you watch it.

bdogg- huge lots on eBay. You are speaking my frugal language, baby.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I don't know what advice to give on maternity pants other than to buy elastic waist pants. Leggings are back!

Topwise, the empire waist tops are everywhere.

Maternity hot pants, why not? I've seen worse things. Hee hee.

I don't rubberneck either and have the urge to kill those who do.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home