Monday, April 21, 2008

Am I an aunt or an uncle?!



It's a boy!!!

Mike and I had our second and last ultrasound last week (thank you, Blue Cross Blue Shield) and decided to let ourselves in on the secret. We went to a different place this time, one far less posh but much more friendly. The ultrasound technician actually smiled and cooed over the baby! She explained everything we were seeing on the screen! She printed out 15 pictures for us to take with us!

I would like to invite her to Thanksgiving dinner this year. Would that be weird?

Anyhow, back to the real story. I had a feeling the baby was a boy, but Mike was positive that it was a girl, so I was prepared to be wrong.

"Oh, I can see it!" the ultrasound technician said. "Here are the boy bits!"


"A boy!" I said, and inside I felt, Yes, I knew that. I stared at the screen, mesmerized. "Is this an extreme close-up?"

"No," the tech said, sounding confused. "Why?"

I pointed at the screen. "It looks huge!"

She laughed. "That's his leg, sweetheart."

"Oh, right."

Don't worry, I correctly identified his head and his bum, so at least I'll know which end is up.

It was amazing, all that we could see. The four chambers of his beating heart. His wee bladder filled with amniotic fluid and his mouth working to drink it in. His kidneys, and every bone in hands, feet, and spine. His brain. The twists in the umbilical cord and the blood moving through it.

I saw and felt him kick at the same time, which was definitely the highlight of my day. I've often wondered what he was doing in there, this little Riverdancer of mine.

We saw him lying casually with his legs crossed, as though he were lounging on the beach. He played with the umbilical cord and also seemed to wave at us.


Hello, my adoring public!

He is beautiful.

Afterward we rushed to the car to call the anxious grandparents, aunts, and uncles. The best response was from my brother, after I told him that he was going to have a nephew.

"Wow! A nephew! Wait, so that means... nephew... okay, it's a boy!!"

(Hey, give us a break- this is the first baby on my side of the family. We're all kinda new at this.)

I told my dad that he could go ahead and buy a wee fishing pole and start planning the boating expeditions, and my mom revealed that he had already purchased a bottle of baby shampoo for the guest bathroom.

Yes, this baby is very much wanted and will be welcomed into the world by a loving family. I'm planning to write more about that in another post.

Welcome to the nuthouse, little guy.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Chrissy said...

those are beautiful pictures! and baby shampoo? so touching.

9:38 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Yay! Congratulations!

The pictures were beautiful. I think he has your eyes.... :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Congratulations!! That's very exciting. Such a handsome little guy!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Yay! Now you have 2 boy children ;)

10:28 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

reminds me of that simmpsons episode. they go for an ultrasound (the baby turns out to be maggie, I think) and the doctor mistakenly tells them it's a boy. Homer looks at the screen and crows, "And WHAT a boy!" and the doctor says, "Um, Homer, that's the umbilical cord."

congrats! and the baby shampoo thing? SO sweet.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I can already tell he's adorable. :)

That's so sweet about your dad. What a proud, anxious Grandpa.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous betsy said...

This baby will be well-loved, no doubt about it.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Teacher Bee said...

Congratulations on the handsome little man!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Life in a tiki hut said...

yaaaaaaaaay!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Ashley Beth said...

Congratulations! How exciting...a BOY!

I adore the baby shampoo story.

8:12 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Aww, your dad is so cute. I think it's precious that he already bought baby shampoo!

And I think you should invite the ultrasound tech to Thanksgiving, but don't be surprised if she can't make it because she's gotten a million other invitations. lol

8:45 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Hooray for little boys! My sister is having a little boy in August. Way awesome.

(Also, I love that your parents already bought their first baby thing!)

Congratulations!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, all!

p.s. I called my mom on her cell phone yesterday and caught her buying boy-themed baby clothes.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous j.m. tewkesbury said...

Yeah! Congratulations. He looks like he's coming along nicely!

And how cute is your dad?!

4:21 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

well done liz!

congratulations to the whole family.

and do you realize that right at this very moment you are working on growing a penis?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Those are wonderful ultrasound pics.

Your Dad sounds excited, just a bit. LOL

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home