Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Surprising side effects of pregnancy, continued

I'd heard that thick, lustrous hair was a pregnancy perk, and it's one that I really hoped to enjoy. I have nice hair. It's not that I hate it, or anything. But we humans always seem to want what we don't have, and this is why as a girl I fantasized about having black, curly hair, instead of my perfectly nice head of straight, dark blonde.

According to my hair stylist, my hair is thick but very fine. This is probably why I was a miserable failure during the Big Hair trend. Half an inch off my head was the most my poor, weak bangs could muster. And if it was humid? Oh god, not even the biggest can of Aqua Net Super Hold could save them.

So, I thought, yes! If I grow more hair, that will be excellent. My hair will look thicker. Maybe I can get a perm! One that will last more than a week!

My fantasy was that at some point in my pregnancy, the magic combination of hormones would be achieved and I would transform overnight into a Breck Shampoo girl.

Instead? I got this:


"Look!" I exclaimed to my hair stylist last week, pointing to my head. "I've got these little... sprouts growing everywhere!"

My assumption was that my hair was too dry and breaking off, even though I use a high-quality moisturizing shampo in the winter and don't blow-dry very often.

Nah, said my hair stylist. Those are your baby hairs. She lifted my top layer to reveal my forehead, and pointed out how my hairline was filling in.

"But I'll warn you," she said. "It will all fall out at some point."

So I am quietly urging the sprouts to grow, grow, grow into Breck fabulousness. In the meantime, just call me Alfalfa.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I got a perm in those big-hair days even though my hair was already wavy...very foolish!! ;)

Am not looking forward to hair falling out after birth.

I'm also now told that your feet get a size bigger permanently? It happened to my mom and sister...

I'm thinking they always seem to have more 9s in stock than 8s, though...

11:04 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

That feet thing didn't happen to me, which is good and bad. (New shoes??)
But I did lose a lot of hair! More than I thought completely necessary, and enough to make me go to a doctor and beg for a thyroid test. Alas. It was the babies!! (Fist shaking!) I think it's come back -- but it took a LONG time. A year, at least!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I've heard that about the increase foot size, too, although it was only temporary for some of my friends.

I'd hate to give up all of my shoes... :(

2:03 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh dear - we have the same hair - lots of it but fine and stick straight. It pretty much returns to its former state after, sorry. but the good news is that my feet did too.

6:39 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

now my STOMACH on the other hand...

6:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

hey, I heard that Jennifer Lopez was back to her pre-baby body two and a half seconds after her twins were born (took that long to expel the placentas)...

7:15 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I have those sprouts without even being pregnant! Maybe because my hair is not only fine, it's also thin. My hair could never hold a perm either. And if it fell out, I'd quickly be bald.

I guess if that happened I'd look even more like my dad did.

12:14 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that's kinda funny. Odd thing is, I have hairs like this in my head, but I've never been nor am I currently pregnant. Go figure.

As for perms: Don't do it. You'll regret it. It's also very, very bad for your hair. I once had a stylist who threatened to fire me as a client if I ever came back from Christmas break with a perm. I haven't permed my hair since 1997.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

well, misery loves company, I suppose. :)

Just kidding about the perm, Tewkes. I had a couple of home perms that promptly fell out. I think my last attempt was in 1989.

Ahh, memories of bending over the sink, breathing in permanent solution and getting a crick in my neck...

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Well, enjoy the sprouts while you can. My cousin had huge chunks of hair fall out post-baby. But if you have great enough shoes, and big enough post-baby boobs, perhaps no one will notice.

9:31 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Dammit!! I've done it again!! Didn't visit you!! And now I have had to pay the price.....! Spend 2hours playing 'catch-up'!! Why 2 hours you ask?? Well, one hour is spent on my knees, pounding the floor and laughing my butt off!! You are the funniest woman.... No, person I know!! I would have commented to each of your posts but I was laughing too hard!!

You and Mike sound alot like my wife Becky and me! Except she's not preggie!! And as for Alex?? My dogs insist that I hold them on my lap so that they can worship his beauty!!

So, new rule here!! I have a sticky note pinned to the wall telling me to 'visit Liz EVERY day!'

And BTW, you really should visit my MSN Space! We had a visit from our first (Japanese) exchange student from 10 years ago and I put up LOTS of pics!! It was fun while it lasted!! Just read back thru the last 3 or 4 posts!!

Take good care of the little one (No, NOT Alex... well him too!!) and give Mike a big ..... ummmm, handshake for me!!

Take care!!!!!!

3:21 PM  
Blogger MB said...

My pregnancy hair did not fall out at all but my feet did get a size bigger which was a bummer since I was a 10 BEFORE.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home