Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chincoteague Island

Our B&B, The Watson House. Highly recommended if you're planning to visit Chincoteague and you like the B&B experience. Bob and Carole Mabin are wonderful hosts.


The wrap-around porch. An important feature on my dream house.
We ate breakfast out here most mornings, around the corner.




Our room, with a wonderfully creaky wooden floor.

The reading/sun room, a little nook off the bedroom.

You know I totally played Laura Ingalls Visits a
Civilized Town
as soon as Mike left the room, right?


The wee Chincoteague library. If we moved to Chincoteague, I'd just have
to evilly pray for the librarian's untimely death if I wanted to get a job.
I'll bet her office has a view of the water!

The Roxy Theater on Main Street, a short walk from our B&B. We saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull our first night there, our first movie theater experience since Christmas. Actually, my experience consisted of sleeping through most of it, waking up here and there to see a skull that looked suspiciously like it was stuffed with Saran Wrap.
Lots of beautiful birds inhabit these marshes. The endangered squirrels hang out in the woods. We managed to avoid getting pulled over for speeding this time.


This baby was adorable. Over 300 wild ponies live along Assateague Island, which is a short drive or bike ride from Chincoteague. As we left this particular spot, a horse enthusiast said, "Good luck with your own foal!", pointing to my stomach.

On our first day there I was struck with an insuppressible urge to fly a kite. We bought a cheap one at a local store and took it to the beach. It was great fun until my kite decided to commit suicide and broke free, soaring wildly and then plunging into the ocean, beyond the breakers. Neither Mike nor I were willing to go in after it, so we just waved goodbye, feeling like no-good ocean-polluters.

Another day at the beach, bare feet planted firmly in the warm sand.
We had a little picnic lunch with some sparkling cider. Wave hello, baby!


This little dude watched us the whole time we were eating, screeching indignantly any time another bird tried to approach. He started out between us, then planted himself firmly in front of me. Just like Alex. What, do I have a tattoo on my forehead that says I'M A SUCKER FOR SAD ANIMAL EYES?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger irishgirl said...

Hi Liz,
This may be a an odd question, but googling images of torc mountain. I got your blog about your Ireland trip last year. Would you mind answer a couple questions I have? My husband and I (mid 20's) are planning our second trip to Ireland and want to do a bit of hiking this time. In fact, the same areas you hiked as well. Could you tell me about the difficulty of the hike for say mount brandon, torc mountain, and the cliffs of dunquin? I would love some feedback.

P.S. Love the blog and congratulations on the baby!

10:52 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

What a quaint looking island!

My condolences on your kite.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

You were lucky to sleep through it!

I'm a sucker for pleading eyes, too - D has big brown puppy-dog eyes and that's why I ended up seeing Indiana Jones ;)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Looks like a fun trip. I love the belly peeking into the wine(apple cider?) and cheese shot.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Irishgirl,

I'd say that Mount Brandon was the most difficult of the three, but probably my favorite. We hiked up the eastern side, but I hear that the western approach is a bit more gradual. Just getting through the initial fields and up past the grotto was quite a work-out for the legs! I'd do it on a nice weather day for the best views. (driving Connor Pass to get to the Mount Brandon side of the peninsula is also interesting, expecially if it's foggy!)

Hiking on the cliffs of Dunquin was not too strenuous, and also beautiful. There's an easier trail that cuts directly across the top, but we took a more rugged trail off to the left that puts you more on the side on the cliffs. Some maneuvering was required, but it's not tricky if you're not afraid of heights.

Torc Mountain- difficulty will depend on the route you choose, and I can't remember exactly what we did. I'll try to dig up my map and see if I can remember...

feel free to email me if you have any other questions...

8:10 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

suzy- it is a quaint town. There's an ice cream parlor in an old house that's rumored to have its own ghost. :)

Bearette- we saw it mostly because there was only one option, but Mike really enjoyed the other Indiana Jones movies and so was enthused about it (I never saw them).

Roxanne- yes, it was cider. The baby seemed to like it!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Liz! That really helps us plan!
Irish Girl :-)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thank you for sharing. Those are some wonderful pictures.

10:39 AM  
Blogger sugarlens said...

My husband and I were just there this past weekend! We stayed at the Waterside Inn on Main Street. Looks like you had lots of fun. The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is great, I can't wait to visit again.

10:11 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

LMAO!!!! Great Pics!!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home