Friday, May 30, 2008

Kleenex! I need more Kleenex!

So, guess what? I happen to work with lots of medical professionals and someone got a fancy new ultrasound machine yesterday and she came and knocked on my door (Come and knock on our dooooor! We’ve been waiting for yoooou!) and she said, “So, we have this great new machine that we want to test out and you’re pregnant and hey, do you want to see your baby?”

And after .2 seconds of deliberation I jumped up and followed her downstairs, panting excitedly like a DC dog in August. Heck, I probably would have let Tom Cruise perform an ultrasound on me if he’d offered, and here was a bona fide professional!

My boy was very squirmy throughout the procedure, so it was hard to get clear shots. Can they test for hyperactivity in utero? I am really starting to wonder how he can possibly gain weight when he’s burning calories as fast as I can eat them. This morning it felt like he was practicing back flips. Which, okay, but could you just practice a softer landing? I haven’t wet my pants since I was in diapers and I don’t intend to start up again in my 30’s.

The tech just happened to place the wand right on the baby’s bits, and yes, it is definitely a boy.

We got some good profile shots. They’re similar to the ones I showed you from our last ultrasound, but his cheeks look a bit fuller now at 28 weeks.

I told them about the calcification on his liver, just so they’d know that I was already aware of it. At first they couldn’t find it, which was a relief, because at least it hadn’t spread into some completely obvious, monstrous growth. Eventually they did locate it and they took some close-up shots that I can take in to my next midwife appointment. It is actually a small cluster of three of four tiny spots, but neither professional seemed very concerned.

And then they switched to 3D mode, which was completely unexpected, and… wow. I have cried during every ultrasound- I can’t help it. But seeing his face in such detail nearly brought on Niagra Falls.

Again, he was moving a lot and also kept putting his hands over his face, so this was the best we could capture. It’s a bit distorted and his hand is covering the right side of his face… but even so, wow.



I taped it to my computer monitor at work, which means that I have been accomplishing very little ever since.

In other news, Mike and I attended our first childbirth class. I really like the instructor, and everyone in the class is a patient at my midwife collaborative. This means that no one thinks you’re a freak when you say you’re seeing midwives, have hired a doula and are planning to have a natural childbirth if all proceeds as hoped.

(for some reason, most people hear “midwife” and assume that I’m planning to give birth in a field of wildflowers while my husband beats a drum and chants at the moon)

(are you kidding? with MY allergies?)

For anyone who’s interested, my midwife group only delivers in one particular small-ish area hospital, and they are the primary caregivers during the labor and delivery. Physicians are also a part of the collaborative practice, but they’re usually not too involved unless there’s a medical need. There is always one physician and one midwife from my practice on duty at the hospital at all times.

They are very supportive of natural childbirth and doulas and letting the partners help catch the babies (if they want to) and all that. I still feel that for me, a birthing center or even a home birth would have been closer to my ideal and comfort zone, but this is a good compromise for my husband and me.

If you’re in the DC area and are interested in learning more about the practice, email me and I’ll send you their website.

Meanwhile, I’ll be staring at my son’s marvelous chin.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I have wished for Tom Cruise's ultrasound machine on numerous occasions ;) I'm glad you got to have another one...

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

I had never seen a 3D ultrasound! Wow!

11:21 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I've never seen a 3D one either! That is so incredible! Amazing stuff...

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Hello, little man!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

What a wonderful picture of your little man.

My first child was delivered by a midwife at a hospital.

That field of wildflowers sounds kind of fun though.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a liver calcification on your baby's liver, which has grown from 6mm to 10 mm...so it was a bit hurtful to see you say "grown to some monstrous growth"...however, all the best to you.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Anon- I certainly didn't mean to be hurtful. I wish you and your baby all the best, too.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Liz - I know you are worried about your son and the terms in which you expressed your relief were non-offensive. While I hope with all my heart, anonymous has a healthy baby, I still think it is entirely innappropriate to come to somebody's blog and leave an ugly comment. ESPECIALLY under the cloak of anonymity. I hope you take joy in every aspect of your pregnancy and ignore those who would pee in your Cheerios.

P.S. Feel free to delete this. I'm not trying to start a blog war, just wanted to let you know how I felt. (and i don't have your e-mail.)

3:46 PM  
Anonymous James said...

I appologize Caro and more importantly, you Liz. I was hurt. Thank you for your understanding. I have been very stressed and very depressed. No excuses. The "monstrous growth" was in my opinion disturbing. But it's your blog. My appologies for being so rude.

Caro, I don't have a blog id, which is why it was anonymous. I had no intentions of peeing in anyone's Cheerios. Wow. My name is James. I did not realize the "Name" option at first.Best wishes to you all.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

hi James- I am just now seeing your follow-up comment, over a year later. I can imagine how you felt when you read my post, and I'm sure I would have felt the same if I'd read something similar shortly after my baby's hepatic calcification was discovered. My choice of words were simply a reflection of my own fear at the time. I do hope you and your baby are okay. Please email me if you have a moment.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home