Monday, June 09, 2008

Shorts

On Friday I was shelving a few books when a knot of pain flared up on my right side. Ouch! I moved my fingers to touch it and felt a small lump, which I pressed gently.

Bam, bam! went the baby’s foot.

Sorry, baby. Of course you can stand on my liver if you want to.

~~~~~~~~~~

In last week’s childbirth class, I sat on my pillow on the floor, leaning back against Mike for support. Slow breathing while focusing on an object across the room was the task at hand. Suddenly, my belly erupted in a series of jumps and ripples. I felt Mike’s chest shaking with silent laughter and had to bite my lip to keep from disturbing the peace of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday we went to swim some laps at one of the community pools. It was very relaxing, especially in the 100 degree heat, although kids kept getting in my way in the lap lane. I also noticed lots of kids hanging out in the deep end, near the diving boards. Man, lifeguards are lax these days. I remember them blowing their whistles constantly when I was a kid. “NO RUNNING!” “GET OUT OF THE LAP LANE!” When I floated on my back, Mike had to stand next to me like a bodyguard, to make sure no one landed a cannonball on my stomach. My belly poked out of the water like a small beach ball.

~~~~~~~~~~

After enjoying the pool for a while, we came home and I was determined to make cupcakes. I made a double batch of vanilla with chocolate frosting. Then I made a double batch of Mike’s favorite stuffed shells for dinner. All of this took the better part of four hours.

Remind me not to do that again. My feet are still throbbing, despite last night's lengthy foot massage.

~~~~~~~~~~

This morning my husband’s alarm went off at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m. and I got up to use the bathroom. When I returned to bed I had a contraction. I’ve had a few noticeable Braxton-Hicks contractions before, but they just felt like a mild tightening in my uterus, not very painful.

This one was painful. I sucked in my breath, and then remembered that this was precisely the wrong thing to do. Breathing slowly in and out helped. The contraction went away after about 40 seconds.

The baby squirmed around for a while until he found a comfy position, then apparently went back to sleep.

All was quiet afterward, but my eyes remained open and staring at the ceiling until my own alarm bleated at 6:30.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I'm so jealous that you can swim :) I have to wait 6 weeks from the birth. Fortunately I went swimming the day before I went into labor. Enjoy the water!

2:10 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I'm really surprised that the lifeguards didn't do more. Good thing you have your own personal lifeguard!

And with the baby making your stomach visibly move and standing on your internal organs, at least you have your own entertainment wherever you go! lol

4:37 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

He's gonna keep you on your toes. :-)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I like the mental picture I have of your belly protruding from the water. :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

He sounds like a deliciously busy little boy, that one.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home