Wednesday, July 02, 2008

32 weeks


This is me, dressed up to go to a wedding. Of course I still danced to Love Shack at the reception. Everytime the B-52s sang "Love shack, baby!" I had to rub my belly and point obnoxiously, like, "HA! Get it? They're saying baby and I'm pointing at my baby!"

You know you want to go out dancing with me.

It just occured to me that since we've entered the month of July, I can officially say that I'm having a baby next month. At least I hope it's next month, since he's due the last week in August. Someone at work helpfully told me that his wife went six weeks overdue with their son, and I immediately covered the baby's ears, lest he get any bright ideas (though I was probably grabbing his bum, come to think of it). I thanked the man for that encouraging story and said that I'm holding him personally responsible if I'm still pregnant in October.

Of course, Mike is slated to be a groomsman in his best friend's wedding on September 6th, which pretty much guarantees that I'll go into labor that morning.

Meanwhile, a couple from our childbirth class became the first to have their baby (four weeks early, but prefectly healthy). After hearing this announcement, we all sat in uneasy silence and eyed each other's bellies until someone muttered, "Overachievers!" Then we all laughed and went back to pretending that these babies will never actually exit our bodies, ho ho ho!

Alex has been having a rough time lately, between the wicked thunderstorms and people setting off their 4th of July fireworks in the street. If we can't find him, it's safe to bet that he's hiding under our bed.

He's also very aware of all the changes underway in our house, though we've been trying to do things gradually so he has time to get used to it all. Alex is the official inspector of everything baby, which means that he gets first dibs on smelling and examining each new baby item that enters the house. His favorite items so far seem to be the wee baby socks. For those of you who don't remember, stealing socks is one of his all-time favorite pastimes. I think the baby socks are kind of blowing his mind, like, Woah! The perfect mouthful!

He's especially intrigued by the socks that have rattles on the toes. Are they socks, or dog toys? OMFG!

Anyway, to ensure that Alex continues to get adequate respresentation on this blog, I bring you this very exclusive interview! People and OK! tried to get there first, but I beat them all down by swinging my belly from side to side.

I caught up with the handsome Alex as he lounged on the stairs at home. He tried to ignore me at first, but his curiosity finally got the better of him (he's always been a bit of a camera whore).




Interview with Alex from Liz on Vimeo.

As you could see, Alex chose to end the interview prematurely. Hey, sometimes a dog needs a little privacy, you know?




Avoiding the paparazzi from Liz on Vimeo.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Betsy said...

I'm so glad to see and hear about Alex. it's been a long time!!!!

11:53 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

you are an insanely adorable pregnant person.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

you look great! also, i don't think many people go late...3 friends gave birth around the same time as me, and we were all early (by a few days) except for one who delivered on her due date.

1:02 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I've never heard of someone being six weeks overdue! Yikes!! I was fashionably late - two days. The last time I was fashionable about anything.

And you have a great looking bump! :)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I'm always impressed by pregnant women that can wear heels. I have a hard enough time doing it without the awkwardness of carrying around a watermelon all day. ;)

4:03 PM  
Blogger kj said...

you look beautiful, liz. if david beckham is anything like mr. ryan, get ready. he stops only when he sleeps.

:)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

betsy- I'll try to bring more alex. He's always the main attraction, anyway. :)

babel- thank you, but trust me- I have very unadorable days.

bearette- I hope so!

suzy- that guy's son was born almost 30 years ago, and apparently everyone except his wife knew that she was just going to have a c-section anyway (nice). But 6 weeks late sounds horrific.

roxanne- those are the smallest ones I own! I've been wearing to same pair of flats to work every single day, but I was willing to suffer for a couple of hours. :)

kj- but you'll come babysit, right?

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Frema said...

I was only one week overdue. Any doctor that lets a woman go six weeks past her due date ought to be taken out back and shot. Seriously, that can't be healthy for anyone. Let's assume that kind of inhumane behavior doesn't happen any more.

Also, it's not uncommon to go past your due date, so don't freak out if you do.

Last but not least, you look fantastic!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Also, PROMISE me that after David Beckham turns one, you won't refer to his age in terms of months. That is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves. "Oh, she's 17 1/2 months." Just say, "She's about a year and a half."

The mathematically challenged among us will thank you.

Rant done.

4:50 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Oh, that Alex. He knows he's a lady killer, but he's playing it coy.

You look marvelous, Liz! I can't believe you're almost due. Seems like only yesterday you announced the big news. Time flies!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

You're one of those pretty pregnant people. I always had the beached whale look.

May I hate you on principle?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Frema- I'd rather he be a little late than much too early. :)

Betsy- I'll do my best to remember.

Teweks- Alex almost killed me dead with those eyes when we first adopted him, but I've built up a slight tolerance. It was a matter of SURVIVAL.

Sure, Caro. A few haters does a body good.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home