Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Excitement, but then not so much

So last week on Wednesday and Thursday I was having a lot of contractions. The midwives said that a maximum of 5-6 painless contractions per hour was okay, and I was having upwards of 10-12. They started Wednesday morning and continued throughout the day, and by the time I got home around 9 p.m. I was a little concerned.

Despite sitting with my feet up and drinking glass after glass of water, the contractions kept coming. Mike wanted to call the emergency midwife number, but I refused because I knew that since it was after hours they'd tell us to come to the hospital and I didn't want to drive up there and have to be hooked up to a monitor for an hour and then told, "It's OBVIOUS that you haven't been getting enough vitamin Z-862, HAVEN'T YOU BEEN EATING THE RECOMMENDED DAILY 3-4 SERVINGS OF SQUID INK?"

(Before anyone gets upset, I really would have gone if I'd been experiencing pain or if I hadn't been feeling the baby move in between contractions. I'm not too stupid.)

On Thursday the contractions continued, and around 10:30 I called the midwife. She asked me if I'd tried resting (yes) and if I'd had plenty of fluids (yes, so much that I briefly considered buying a pack of Depends), and if I'd eaten recently (yes).

They told me to come in within the hour.

Thankfully, I was not yet dilating or effacing, but the baby's head was a little lower than last time. Much to my annoyance, as four people asked me on Wednesday if the baby had dropped and I said, OF COURSE NOT, I'm only 32 weeks, he's always been low and if he were any lower his head would be hanging out, DON'T THESE PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING?

Ahem. So apparently it is possible for the winner of the fetal Does Your Womb Hang Low? award to one-up himself. Or one-down himself, as the case may be.

Everything is fine. By Thursday evening the contractions were back to an acceptable frequency and it continued that way for most of the weekend, except for a couple of hours after I swam laps at the pool, when my uterus started acting up again.

I guess maybe sometimes I am "overdoing it".

On Friday night we watched fireworks from the comfort of our own home, as usual. We can see most of three different displays from the front of our house, so we went up to our bedroom and pushed the bed up against the wall of windows and enjoyed. It was the perfect set-up for a pregnant woman, actually, air-conditioned and with a bathroom only five feet away.

Alex missed the fireworks, as he was hiding behind the washing machine.

Before I sign off, I have to tell you that I washed a load of baby clothes last night, including a big pile of wee socks. Despite carefully placing each sock in the washing machine and then making sure that each made it into the dryer, I ended up with two odd socks. I shook out every other article of clothing, checked the lint trap and the floor around the machines, and they were NOWHERE. Alex cannot be blamed because he was hiding under the bed.

WTF?

(promised pictures are coming soon)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

Maybe the socks are with the squid ink that you're missing.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

socks have a way of doing that ;)

it's funny, i didn't have a definite contraction until 8 hrs before i gave birth.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

When we still had wee socks to wash, I had this handy dandy mesh bag to put them in. I don't think I ever used it. Not sure why cuz it sure would have saved us from the sock monster.

I also didn't have any of those early contractions. Not that I can remember anyways. I'm sure it's nerve wracking playing the guessing game.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, get the handy mesh bag. It's what I use when I remember to actually put the tiny socks in something...

I had contractions the day before I went into labor but I didn't feel them. I saw them on a fetal monitor.

5:26 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

yeah, i use a lingerie bag to wash baby socks. baby sicks and nursing bras, perfect together...

9:35 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

that'd be socks, not sicks...

9:35 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

You'll not be going late I bet.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

babel- I thought "baby sicks" were clothes covered in spit-up.

A mesh bag! You guys are so smart.

9:11 AM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Did you check the filter on the washer? I was going to suggest a mesh bag, but Roxanne beat me to it.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I say we start a game guessing the date and time of delivery.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home