Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Wow, that head is low."

So sayeth the midwife at yesterday's appointment. I'm nearly 36 weeks and 50% effaced. I wouldn't know this if I hadn't already been undressed from the waist down for the Group B Strep test. But since I was, the midwife offered to check me.

"Sure, why not?" I said. The midwives don't routinely check you "down there", mostly because it's very uncomfortable for some women (although not for me) and if you're in the safety zone for delivery (usually 34 weeks or later, when most babies can survive without major problems) it doesn't really tell you much, as you could walk around partially effaced and dilated for weeks.

So who knows- I could remain 50% effaced with no further progress for four-ish more weeks, or it could mean that I'll go early. Mike and I started packing the bags and got the car seats installed over the weekend, just in case.

Two confessions:

#1: Sometimes I worry that the baby is lonely in there. I try to talk and sing to him a lot. So far Blackbird by the Beatles seems to be his favorite, although he gets really excited when Mike sings Dean Martin songs. Also, whenever I'm at home, I tend to pull my shirt up to keep my belly exposed. No, this isn't a great look, but as I told Mike, "Otherwise it feels like I'm keeping him under the bed!"

#2: Something you might not know about being pregnant is that a hormone called relaxin (don't you love it?) gets all jacked up with the mission of loosening the joints of your pelvis. The goal? For the baby to be able to fit through the birth canal. Between that and the baby's head being so low, walking makes me feel like my legs are about to pop off. I frequently envision this happening, leaving just the stump of my upper body sitting in the hallway at work as I frantically wave my arms at the security camera.

Speaking of work, my co-workers threw a lovely shower for me last week. The cake alone would have been enough-- it was a heavenly confection that rivaled my wedding cake (and I really loved my wedding cake- so much that I ate the entire top "anniversary" layer within two weeks of our honeymoon). I also got a number of nice things for the baby, including a gift certificate for three infant massage lessons. And the infant massage expert will come to our house!

If you've never heard of infant massage before, there are a number of organizations and institutions dedicated to it. It's supposed to have numerous benefits.

To round out this disjointed post, I need a good seque.

Uh, SPEAKING OF SOAP, a couple of weeks ago I made laundry soap using the recipe that Caro kindly emailed. It was super easy, and it took just a fraction of my ingredients supply to make a two gallons of the stuff. And it works. Just a little washing soda, some Borax, and grated laundry soap.

For some reason, Alex was obsessed with the Zote soap. I held it out so he could sniff it and the fool licked it, and tried to keep licking it, despite its obvious SOAPY SMELL. He probably would have devoured it if I'd put it in his food bowl.

I don't get it.




Mmm... soap!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

Silly doggy! Sooo, could I put in a little request? Could you keep the kid in there a little longer so I'm not so late on getting your gift to you? Just thought I'd ask. ;)

It's been slow going, but I'm back to work on it now that I finally finished my book. I promise you'll get it before he hits puberty.

7:52 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

BlackJack LOVES to lick the insides of plastic bags. That cat is crazy....

You know you can make baby wipes with Avon bubble bath? (like my pitch I threw in there? MUST MENTION AVON!) I have the instructions if you want them... :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Zote, huh? It's gotta taste better than licking his own butt, right? LOL

I'm glad you liked the laundry soap.

Baby any day now. YAY!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

He's a dog. They are also known to eat poop. Perhaps soap isn't so bad afterall?

5:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne- I was hoping to make it to at least 38 weeks, but he may have other ideas. I'll do my best.

Bdogg- we're using cloth diapers and I considered reusable baby wipes too, but I had to draw the line. I'm afraid our washing machine is in for a hell of a beating.

Caro- I wouldn't know. I've never licked his butt.

Betsy- that's what's strange about it! he's never eaten poop, or anything else that he shouldn't. One of his only vices is rolling on stinky stuff like dead worms. :)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

bdogg- yes, the Avon pitch was incredibly subtle.

6:38 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I can't believe you're so close! It must be interesting to feel like you're legs are going to pop. And you're description of sitting legless in the hallway made me think of Monty Python. lol

10:43 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Maybe he likes it because it's such a pretty color ;)

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home