Thursday, August 21, 2008

GAH!

So yesterday I was walking down the hall at work when I spotted a someone coming my way. She looked familiar, and I figured I'd probably helped her with some research at some point. I smiled as I passed by.

"Ooooh!" she said, stopping and eyeing my belly. "You're pregnant!"

(I've been getting a lot of that lately, as people who have been gone for the summer return to campus)

"Yes," I said. "I'm due a week from Friday, on the 29th."

"Just like your twin!" she beamed.

I paused for a moment. There are identical twin sisters in my workplace and they're roughly my age, so I thought maybe she was mistaking me for one of them (even though we look nothing alike).

"No," I told her. "I don't have a twin."

"Yes, you do-ooo!" she sang.

And Internet, suddenly it hit me. I knew who she was, but it was too late to run away. Or hobble away, to be more accurate.

"TORI SPELLING!" she crowed. "Your TWIN, TORI SPELLING, just had a baby!"

I stared at her, wondering if she would ever, ever get tired of this conversation.

"SERIOUSLY, no one has ever told you that you look like Tori Spelling?"

And figuring that any jury in the country would buy a plea of temporary pregnancy-induced insanity, I ripped her head off and ate it for lunch.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

I'm sorry, but I got a little laugh this morning at your expense. :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

She struck again!

It's funny, I was thinking of you this morning, b/c Jessica Alba, Jamie Lynn Spears and Tori Spelling were all my birth twins (having babies in June with me). I was wondering: who will Liz's birth twin be? Are any celebrities due in August?

10:55 AM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Having seen pictures of you, I don't see the resemblance. You're prettier. (And smarter.) Ergo, the comparison is lost on me.

As for your temporary, pregnancy-induced insanity, I'd acquit you.

11:59 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i hope it didn't make you throw up.

12:06 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

This chick must not be that bright if she's not picking up on the fact that you don't enjoy being likened to Tori.

And if it did make you vomit, I hope you got a little on her. ;)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

*snort!* Bless her heart...she'll ALWAYS remember you. Well, sort of.

Glad to hear things are good with you and the baby. As long as the boy/girl/alien's first words when looking at you are not "Tori Spelling!" all will be well. *grin*

11:05 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I figured out who your birth twin is - Minnie Driver. I think she's due soon :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Matt Damon's wife just had their baby. There's a twin. lol

Oh! And Gwen Stefani!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I think she is on crack. Or some sort of psychedelic which makes her hallucinate. 'Cause you don't look anything like Donna Martin.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

You should have sauteed that head up with some fava beans!

You look NOTHING like Tori Spelling. I can't see it at a ll.

I'm sorry about your sister's accident.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home