Monday, August 04, 2008

Photo extravaganza! (or: Better Late than Never)

Oh, Internet. I've had so many ideas for great posts, and none of the energy to sit down and write them. Bearette aptly described third trimester fatigue as a "lack of life force".

Yes, that's exactly it.

But otherwise, I simply cannot complain. Things are going well, I am healthy and I have to assume that the baby is, too. He gets hiccups several times a day, poor little guy, but he continues to move around and amaze me and doesn't kick my rib cage too much anymore. I'm still going to work every day, although it took only the smallest bit of encouragement from my doula to "rest when needed" to call in to work last Wednesday night and say that I was turning off my alarm and would be in whenever I woke up on Thursday morning.

The car seats were installed with only a smattering of expletives, the essentials have been purchased, and Mike and I have been doing our nightly perineal massage. If you don't know what that last one is, you can Google it, though you may not want to do so at work (the massage OR the Googling of, just to be perfectly clear).

But enough about my perineum... you'd rather see pictures of the baby's room, right?

This isn't technically in the baby's room, it's in my room. But this is the bassinet that my brother, sister and I all slept in as infants. And yes, I know that the use of old bassinets and cribs is strongly discouraged by the President of the United States and many other important people, but I think it will be okay. Really.

Here's the baby's room. It's quite small, but it will work just fine.

The crib, a gift from Mike's dad:



Baby's view of the mobile:

Rocking chair, a gift from Mike's mom (my mom crocheted the blanket on the back):

My antique dresser-turned-changing table. How better to reward your furniture for decades of faithful service than to expose it to baby pee?




A picture of Mike and I with the pee stick. I assume we will replace this with a picture of the actual baby at some point.




Hanging above the door- Mike's mom made this for him when he was a baby:




Hanging inside the closet, a gift from Mike's brother. This is a clue to part of the baby's name. Anyone care to take a guess? (if you already know the name, you're disqualified. I mean, do I have to say that? Probably not. But I will anyway.)




Wee baby socks! Which I have managed to keep track of, thanks to you geniuses with your brilliant MESH BAG suggestion!

Wee baby clothes! Those little pants with the drawstring just slay me. We've gotten lots of items that sport lions... another clue to the baby's name.



BabelBabe was kind enough to send a boxful of much-needed baby clothing, things that her fourth and last son (or so she says) has outgrown. This is one of my favorite items:


And here's a onesie from Mike's brother. NOT one of my favorite items, but I figure the baby will be too young to be frightened by Gene Simmons and his bloody, snake-like tongue.


Swaddling for cheaters:





Stuff my friends said I should have:


Things my mother said were essential:


(is it clear yet that this nursery is powered by the suggestions of Other People?)

Hat and bib made by Lisa, who is currently in Malawi:

Cozy blanket that makes me laugh, from Bdogg:


Beautiful quilt made by Betsy:

Giraffe models the cloth diapers we'll be using at home:


Librarians have librarian friends who like to give books as gifts, and I love that. The baby has a small library already. (BTW, Bearette sent a really cute one that I can't show you, because it has the baby's name on it and I don't want to spoil the guessing game).

Note that while I did NOT use the safety strap on the changing pad while diapering the giraffe, I do have safety plugs in the outlets. I get half-credit, right?

So, we're ready, thanks in large part to the many kind and generous people in our lives, some of whom we've never even met. Thank you.

And meanwhile, we wait.


Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Everything looks wonderful! You've gotten some really wonderful things that I know the bambino will love. I adore Lisa's bib!

(hey, you didn't show a picture of the "Little House" books Mike bought!) :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

are you naming that baby maxwell? I LOVE that song, and that name.

altho the lion - hmmmm - Jude?

1:32 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

also - wahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! You HUNG UP a onesie! that onesie is accustomed to being thrown clean into a drawer, wadded up with other onesies. It's loving life with you. (and we are done. Ahem, permanent measures have been taken...)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bdogg- well, I assumed you knew what THOSE looked like. ;)

Babel- HEY, no making fun of the first-timer! I only hung up the larger sizes, so I could keep the smallest things wadded up in the drawer.

(okay, FINE, each item was lovingly washed and folded. sniff.)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

also, didn't I tell you the name? Or are you trying to throw everyone off?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I'm disqualified ;)

So many cute things! We had the "swaddling for dummies" too (as I called it). Unfortunately, he didn't take to swaddling! But many babies do.

Btw, a friend had given me some onesies for "up to 7 pounds", and my little bruiser was never that small - so if your baby is 6 lbs or whatever, let me know and I will try to send them to you! They're cute, just too small for E.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Ringo? you're naming the child Ringo?

This name thing really has me stumped. I love the Beatles and like to think I know their material, but the lion clue totally threw me off. I think it's Ringo. That kinda ties in with lions- circus RINGS, LIONS are in the RINGS. Ringo. See the logic?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- thanks, but it's looking like he'll probably be 7 pounds or more. If he surprises us, I'll let you know. :)

Betsy- YES, I totally see your logic. Alas, you are wrong. I did almost name a dog Ringo once, but I wouldn't do that to a kid.

Hint: the lion clue is for his first name, while the Beatles clue is for his middle name.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

You look as ready as anybody can possibly be.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

The Sacramento Kings have a lion mascot named Slamson.

So Slamson Starr, maybe? LOL

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Then I am going with Leo for the first name (have you read the fabulous children's book Leo the Late Bloomer?) and...Mr. Mustard for the middle? Rocky Raccoon? Harrison? Paul? John? George?

So when are you going to tell us? You KNOW you'll be too busy to blog for about 10 years after this baby arrives...

6:02 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Goodnight Moon is one of my favourite books ever!

If it were going to be a girl, I would guess the name is Abbey from the record cover, but since it's a boy, I think you'll name him Ringo. :)

6:30 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I'm dumb. I don't have a clue about his name? John, Paul, Ringo, George, Leo, Abbey? I love that you guys are still able to use and enjoy things from your own childhoods. The bassinet is beautiful and I'm sure Baby Boy Liz will be just fine!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Leo Beetle!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

That bassinet strangely looks extremely safe for being that old. I mean, I'm not calling you old or anything but...well you know what I mean.

I have no idea on the name. My first guess was Ringo because how cool would it be to have that name. But I realized that not everyone would have that opinion. Sooooo how long do we have to wait?????

4:18 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Okay, I just googled "baby names lion" (yep, I'm just wasting time here) and my guess for the first name is Dillon. Still no idea for the Beetles reference.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

New guess.

Lionel.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home