Thursday, September 18, 2008

Boob Wars: Liz Strikes Back

(alternate title: More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About My Boobs)

So after my tearful post on Monday, we saw a lactation consultant that our doula recommended on Tuesday morning. God, I was dreading it, as I was already in pain and I couldn't bear the thought of "practicing" over and over. But this woman was wonderful, just the right combination of authority and compassion, and she didn't mind when I snotted all over her shirt. We practiced on the least sore side, and though I wanted to shrivel up and die the first time, it did indeed get better and better. She recommended that I alternate breastfeeding on the left (less sore) side and giving the Lion expressed breastmilk from the right side.

We're using a bottle for that, and there is no nipple confusion in sight. I mean, I'd been using a nipple shield on both sides for two or three days, and what is that if not a bottle nipple that you attach to your body? My son is not easily confused, I guess.

The lactaction consultant confirmed that my supply is fabulous, as if I needed anyone else to confirm that. GOT MILK? Yes, gallons and gallons o' milk! Will end world hunger with my awesome milk supply! Come one, come all! Just PLEASE BE GENTLE.

Mike had to help me the first couple times after our appointment, as I was highly anxious about pain and all that. He'd recorded the session on our camcorder, so I watched it a few dozen times and then finally worked up the courage to do it. Now I can do it by myself, though I'm still clumsy enough that I can't imagine doing it in public anytime soon.

And I just have to say that Mike is just... the best thing ever. He's been so supportive and wonderful, and still tells me that I look beautiful when I'm sitting there hooked up like a cow to my breast pump with milk stains all down my pants. I totally don't believe him, but I appreciate it all the same.

SO, it looked like things were getting better, just like the LC said they would, when I developed an infection in my right breast. OF COURSE I DID. So now the Lion and I are on antibiotics and I'm still pumping that side until it looks less... scary.

Anyway, do you see why women truly need maternity leave? It's for shit like this. I'm finally feeling better down under and now I've got a new world of pain happening upstairs.

And here I thought I'd be sitting around getting pedicures and eating bon bons all day.

Good thing he's so beautiful. He is worth it, every single gnashing of my teeth.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

I love those pictures! The middle one looks like he's trying to roar and the third one he has this expressions like, "Yeah, hear me roar." :)

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Kerry said...

What a beautiful little baby!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Life in a tiki hut said...

omg hes going to be a total heartbreaker.


tick tock goes my biological clock!

10:42 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Bummer about your boobies, but what a beautiful boy!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

He is so alert in his pictures. (and totally adorable) I hope your boobies are feeling better!

8:37 PM  
OpenID baldspider said...

You have such an adorable little boy, he looks soo contented.

5:41 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

what a cutie! (and I am sure you ARE still beautiful : ))

yeah, i couldn't imagine BFing in public either and now I whip them out anywhere and everywhere, and with no one the wiser....it just takes practice. so you must have 4 children : )

hey, when my laptop crashed, all my contact info went with it. can you email me your address AGAIN - I have 2 boxes of baby clothes and stuff sitting here for you....thank you!
and don't forget my offer - call whenever you want, if you want. the more support you have, the easier it is, truly. and if you can't depend on your online friends, who CAN you depend on? : )

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home