Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day- it would be SO appropriate, don't you think?

Sorry, sorry! I thought you guys would be partying all Labor Day Weekend long and not even remember that I've got a ripe fetus in my belly over here.

I've been in false-start labor land, where the contractions start up and really start to hurt for a while and then disappear. Mike had to put the kibosh on people calling for updates, like, WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THERE'S ANYTHING WORTH KNOWING. I mean, would a good Italian boy lie to his own grandmother?

I think not.

We thought Thursday night was going to be the night. A couple hours after the midwife swept my membranes the contractions started coming, owwww, and we called the doula and said maybe this is it, as they lasted all day and evening, and I even got the point where I had to take a hot bath because I was so uncomfortable. We even re-packed the suitcase and watered all the plants and my mom barely slept a wink, she was so excited. But sometime during the night they went away.

My uterus just really, really likes to practice. If practice makes perfect, I now have the most perfect uterus in all the land.

Anyway, my own calculations (months ago) put my due date a bit later than the 29th, so I was mentally prepared to go "late". But so many people vowed he would come early that I guess I had come to expect an early birth, too, which may explain why I turned into a sobbing snot-face on Saturday night after another stretch of phantom labor.


Mike: He'll come... we just have to wait.

Liz: Phhhwaaaaaaaaah!

Grandma: Is Liz in labor yet?

Liz: FUCK OFF, NANA!


That was my low point. I've since stopped cussing out innocent elderly people.

(you'd never guess that I studied gerontological social work in college, right?)

We're excited, I'm patient and in good spirits (for now), and if nothing happens by tomorrow morning, we have another midwife appointment, during which I expect her to get aggressive with my cervix again.

Keep your fingers crossed.

(LABOR DAY, baby! Go toward the light!)

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sending you happy thoughts for a prompt and easy labor!

But how is Alex doing with all the pre-baby commotion?

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Frema said...

I've been checking your blog for updates all weekend. When it comes to babies, the Internet is quite impatient.

Go, baby, go! Your mother is ready to be done. :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Sigh. :-(

Hurry up little man. We want to greet you!

12:12 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

as long as you haven't decided to name him Godot...

12:21 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

A few days ago I was thinking that Labor Day would be an appropriate time for him to make his arrival. Hey, you still have almost 12 hours to make it happen! At any rate, I'll just be checking in on you and keeping my mouth tightly shut. ;)

12:22 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Even while we were in the mountains, I was wondering if you'd gone into labor yet! Of course, if you were in Canada, you'd have to go into labour, eh?

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Babelbabe- That is hilarious. Godot or Guffman.

Come on, Baby!

2:41 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

All I can think to do is quote the inimitable Bill Cosby regarding the labor and delivery of his first child and his role as cheerleader:

Push 'em out, shove 'em out...
Waaaaaaay out!

Push 'em out, shove 'em out...
Waaaaaaay out!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I hope the baby comes soon... for grandma's sake!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Wishes! Was three weeks overdue with my first and two weeks with my second - summer babies also - so I know just how you feel. But as the saying goes... all good things take time!

Ann

8:37 AM  
Blogger kj said...

thinking of you, liz. what an experience ahead for you and mike. it's unbelievable.

xo

11:52 PM  
Anonymous j.m. tewkesbury said...

Okay... It's been terribly quiet in the stacks lately. Does that mean the little man has arrived?

10:51 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Come out, come out, wherever you are...:)

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just in case you are still hanging out waiting around... I came across something that might help you pass the time - a daily online comic strip about librarians - pretty funny!
http://www.unshelved.com/primer.aspx

Ann

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Frema said...

OK, Liz. Six days since the last post. Either your son is here or you enjoy watching the Internet suffer!

9:17 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

WHERE ARE YOU? WE NEED BABY PICS!

(I would also like to make sure you are still ok).

and yes, i know i am shouting but i believe this situation calls for extreme measures.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home