Sunday, September 07, 2008

Meet Leo


A hare, upon meeting a lioness one day, said reproachfully, "I have always a great number of children while you have only one or two now and then." The lioness replied, "That is true, but my one child is a lion."

an Ethiopian fable written by Lokman (c. 1100 B.C.)


Leo arrived at 3:24 a.m. on Wednesday morning, September 3rd weighing 8 pounds, 3 ounces and measuring at 21 inches long. (can we say IN YOUR FACE to all the people who predicted I would have a tiny baby?) I labored at home with Mike, my mom, and our doula all Tuesday afternoon, then we left for the hospital that evening. I was able to have the natural birth I wanted, and it was beautiful.

I'll write more about that later, I promise. Right now I can't think about it without sobbing. (It's a good kind of sobbing, I promise)

We got home from the hospital on Friday afternoon. That evening and yesterday were really rough, hormonally-speaking, but today I'm starting to feel more normal.

So yes, the baby's name is Leo. His middle name is Sir Paul's last name. A neonatologist had to be present for the birth because there was meconium in the amniotic fluid, and when Leo came out he pronounced, "He came out like a lion!" Mike's mom and my mom were there and everyone was crying.

My little lion is beautiful.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Anonymous Frema said...

Oh, Liz, he really is beautiful. Glad to hear you both are well.

Congratulations!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Welcome to the world, Leo!

He is beautiful.

Sending happy thoughts and hugs (and puppy kisses from Rowen) to you and Leo.

12:31 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Congratulations!! I'm so thrilled for you and Mike. He's precious. :)

12:35 PM  
Anonymous debra said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Caffeinated Librarian said...

Ack! I left a comment! And Blogger ATE it! How dare they!

(I mean I even quoted Idgie Threadgoode. on the occasion of Ruth giving birth, and everything.)

*sigh*

Well, I'll say it again...congrats to Liz and Mike and Leo and Alex! He is a beautiful baby.

1:07 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

he's beautiful and i am so happy it was a wonderful experience. welcome to motherhood, dear. welcome to the world, dear little Leo.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Yes he is beautiful!

CONGRATULATIONS!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hey does Alex get a big brother t-shirt or something? :-)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

He certainly is adorable! I'm really glad you were able to have the birth that you envisioned. It's wonderful, isn't it?

7:35 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Welcome to the world little one.

And take good care of yourself, dear Liz.

x

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Oh, Liz. I bet the years of waiting and wondering were well worth it.

Welcome, little Leo!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ashley Beth said...

How happy I am for you and your great birth! Leo is beautiful and I bet Alex is going to be a great big brother. Walter and I send our virtual kisses to Leo!!

7:56 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I am so happy for all of you! Leo is absolutely gorgeous--he looks like he wants you to start reading him the "Little House" books RIGHT NOW!

Congratulations!!!

8:36 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Congratulations, Liz and Mike! Leo is absolutely beautiful. Glad to hear he's finally here!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

Congratulations Liz (and Mike) and welcome to Leo. He is beautiful and hope you all settle into your new family life with joy. Hugs to Alex too!!!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Leo is precious. Congratulations many times over! I'm sending best wishes and good vibes to your newly-expanded family. I can't wait to see more pictures.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

congratulations! he's beautiful!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Life in a tiki hut said...

hurray! not to be a wierd downwer, but my grandfather passed away around that time on Wednesday. I'd like to think that when one good soul exits this earth another even greater soul enters! Congrats! He has a wonderful name and he is BEAUTIFUL. He didnt even come out all squished baby looking

10:38 PM  
Blogger kim at allconsuming said...

OH MY!- How WONDROUS! Welcome to the world of boys - it is a wonderful place.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Woohoo! Congratulations! Leo is so lovely!

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home