Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Surviving


I haven't had a tear-free day yet, but things are getting better and better. No one told me that the days following birth can make you feel like someone scraped all your skin off with a vegetable peeler.
What? You did tell me? I guess I didn't believe you. I don't know if it's possible to anticipate what such raw emotion will feel like.
We took the Lion to his first pediatrician appointment on Wednesday and he was already above his birth weight, which means that I am doing fine in the breastfeeding department (despite the hospital lactation consultant's prediction). More on breastfeeding later- o, the trials and tribulations! Let's just say that undersupply was NOT my problem, and that cabbage is good for more than just making eggrolls.
Lion is such an easygoing baby, sleeping well and rarely crying. A good disposition, the pediatrician said. Funny, I remember the vet saying the same thing about Alex.

Speaking of Alex, he is fascinated by the baby and wants to know his whereabouts at all times. He's very protective. Here he is in his "I'm the Big Brother!" shirt that my mom put on him for our homecoming:

Keeping watch, as usual:

More soon. Thanks so much for all the good wishes!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Frema said...

I think I cried almost every day for the first two weeks following Kara's birth. You're absolutely right; there's no way to anticipate the depths of such raw emotion.

You and the Lion both look wonderful. Glad to hear things are going well in the breastfeeding department.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

How absolutely wonderful.

8:00 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

That picture of you too is precious, especially with part of his namesake in the background!

I'm glad things are going well and that Alex is really taking to his new role as Big Brother.

I can't wait for more! :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

What a beautiful boy, Liz! And Alex looks every bit the protective brother.

10:53 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Alex is such a good big brother.

I swear the Lion is smiling in the pic of you holding him! :)

(I'm smiling too)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Alex looks very proud indeed in his shirt.

7:00 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

belated congratulations and even more belated apologies for the gift that will eventually wend its way to you.

you both look great and i'm so happy to hear that alex is taking things in stride!

leo is a fantastic name.

can't wait to hear the whole birth story!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to call H sobbing. Every day. Often more than once.

Just be careful to keep an eye out for PPD symptoms, ok?

I love that picture.

-babelbabe who cant log in

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home