Monday, December 15, 2008

Halp

So, after ONE WEEK of daycare, the baby got sick. Suddenly he was congested and snuffling and waking up every hour or two at night with the most pitiful mewing you've ever heard. I knew the doctor probably wouldn't do anything except tell us to run a humidifier in his room (which we've been doing anyhow, to help with his dry skin), but after three nights of no sleep I asked Mike to take him to the doctor so we could waste $20 to get our egos stroked because, YES, YOU ARE GENIUSES, KEEP RUNNING THE HUMIDIFIER THAT IS ALL PLEASE PAY ON YOUR WAY OUT.

The hilarious part was when they weighed the baby (15.9 pounds at 14 weeks) and Mike asked if they could also measure him.

"No," the nurse said seriously. "Length measurements are only covered by the insurance during routine check-ups. Today I can weigh him, because his weight could be affected by his illness. But a length measurement isn't necessary."

Mike stared at her, then at the scale where the baby was still lying, the scale that has a convenient RULER right there on the tray, a ruler that was so convenient, all she had to do was simply stretch the baby's legs out to see his length. By the time Mike had recovered enough to close his mouth, she could have measured the baby a dozen times. But I'm really glad she stuck to her guns. I mean, insurance fraud hurts everyone!

In other news, we will soon be leaving for our annual holiday trip to Georgia and Florida. Mike and I will cram ourselves, our infant, our dog, and assorted gear and luggage into our ever-shrinking car and "drive" ourselves insane, ho ho ho! The trip down shouldn't be too bad, as it usually takes us 8 hours to get to Mike's brother's place in Georgia, and then it's another six hours to my parents' house (I dunno... maybe we should assume that all travel times will be DOUBLED and then we won't be disappointed when we make miserable time?). It's the trip back that I'm concerned about. It usually takes us 12 hours to drive home from Florida, SANS infant. Okay, there was that one time we made it in 11 hours, a victory that we celebrated by stopping at Chipotle and waiting in line for 45 minutes.

I'm open to any and all suggestions that might make this trip easier for all of us, but the real dilemma is how to feed the baby. Breastfeed at rest stops and gas stations? Bring my pump and some bottles and take care of bidness while we zip down 95 South?

I'm at a loss. Tell me what to do and I'll give you $20.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

is it worth splitting up the trip? or driving overnight? it will seriously add hours to your trip - not just the nursing but the changing, the letting the baby out of his carseat, etc.

that's not what you wanted to hear, was it?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

sorry...too tired to comprehend. You vote for or against splitting the return trip?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

For, I'm assuming. I know, we're crazy.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

We had a 12 hour trip to visit family at one point. We almost always split the trip into 2 shorter days. We'd usually leave in the evening after work and drive for about 5 hours then finish the rest the next day. I know, not the suggestion you wanted, eh? I would suggest taking your pump along and just kind of go with the flow (hee!) on the feedings. One hint: if the baby is sleeping? DO NOT STOP..I repeat...DO NOT STOP THE VEHICLE. Bring lots of snacks because even stopping at a drive thru is a sure way of getting a peaceful sleeping babe to wake up screaming bloody murder (and then having leaking boobs seconds later).

word verif: ramboy

11:50 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

It only costs $20 to go to the doctor in America?! Wow. Are you all hypochondriacs as a result? Here it costs so much you only go when you're at death's door.

Ok, now I've got that out of my system, I'm chiming in to say I'd split the trip into two shorter drives over two days. And don't pump, just pull over to a rest stop whenever he needs feeding and give him some boob. He'll need some skin and cuddles after hours in the carseat. I think it'll be fine at this age. It's next year that you'll be crazy, trying to do it with a one year old.

Sorry, also not what you wanted to hear!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I don't know if this is an option for such a long trip, but is the train a possibility? That's how we've been going to MA with the baby, the major plus being you can nurse on the train.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Suse- $20 is just the co-pay when we make an office visit. We pay up the nose in premiums that are deducted from our paychecks every month, but hey- at least we have health insurance.

Bearette- good idea, but it's not really an option with the stop in GA. Plus, we'll have the dog with us and a train ride would probably just about kill the poor boy.

I'm thinking we'll listen to those with experience and break up the trip home. But the trip down seems doable, yes? 8+ hours to GA, then 6+ to my parents' house a couple days later?

Staying home is looking very tempting right now...

8:24 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. I know my family took a trip from OH to TX when I was about 4 months old, but we flew. We didn't start doing the 24-hour drive until I was a little older. Check back with me then about car tips. lol

2:26 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I'm thinking you're already gone.

Have a Merry Christmas!

WV is blerg. What does that mean?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

"Blerg" is drunkspeak for "blog", Caro.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home