Thursday, December 04, 2008

Quiet

I'm still taking a break. The very existence of this post would seem to indicate otherwise, but it's true!

Blogging has brought me many friends, some of whom I've had the pleasure of spending time with, and some of whom I'll probably never meet. I like sharing bits of my life with all of you, and I love reading about yours. And while my little corner of the Internet is hardly a font of Pultizer Prize material, it's been a great creative outlet.

But.

At this time in my life, what I most often feel like sharing is related to my son, and for now I'm simply not comfortable doing any more of that here. Using an alias for him does not seem like enough. I don't like the idea that what I write about him is available- and will be, for years- to everyone in the world. I don't feel comfortable with the thought that someone could lift a picture of him from this blog and do whatever they please with it. I'm aware that many bloggers write about and post pictures of their kids- heck, some make a living of it!- and I don't criticize that choice. I visit their blogs and hope for pictures, in fact. I'm just no longer comfortable reciprocating.

Look, I blogged here for several years before my son came along. I know there are other things to write about. I'm not obsessed with him, nor is "mother" my only identity. But for now, I'm going to extend my little blog vacation while I sort out my feelings.

I recently joined Facebook (and the twenty-first century, apparently?) (although we still own and use a VCR, so...huh.) and while I don't consider it a substitute for this blog, it does give me some control over who can view my pictures and daily drivel. I suspect I'll be back here someday soon, but in the meantime, let's meet up there.

Today is my day off and I have delicious baby cheeks to kiss, so I'm signing off for now. I'll be checking up on you, though, so be sure to vacuum under the couch and put on clean underwear. ;-)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

Dang it, I guess I better vacuum!

I'm going to miss your blogging, Liz, and I'm going to miss all your Lion stories and pictures. So I hope the break is short-lived, even if the Lion info is cut back after you return.

You know, I think there is an option to make your blog private. That's another option so you don't have to censor yourself! :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That's true, you could always make it invitation only.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I've struggled a bit with my comfort level of sharing too. I completely understand BUT I will miss that cute little guy!

You're one step ahead of me...I haven't ventured into Facebook yet and I still use and record (DVR? what's that?) my fave shows. I think our tapes are at least 10+ years old now. ;)

Good luck with the whole working mommy thing. I know it can be tough since I see it first hand with all my daycare parents.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Accidental Mommy said...

Hmmm, I'm learning face book but I don't know how to find you.

Darn it! Plus, I don't even know if the invitation includes me. *blush*

Lion is adorable but what about Alex? That dog cracks me up. LOL! Plus, I like your honestly in your posts. You're real about your experiences. Most people won't post all that raw stuff. I liked reading the truth about your experience with child birth, etc...

How ever it works out, I wish you luck and happiness.

~Sasha

9:32 AM  
Blogger -clevergirl said...

This sucks, I totally loved reading your blog. *sigh* I guess if my daughter had lived I would have done the same thing, God Bless.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I didn't mean to be dramatic and suggest that I'm shutting things down immediately. I think I just need some time to adjust to being a working mom (I've got one week down!) and the emotion of it all has probably got me feeling especially vulnerable right now. I'm just taking some time to sort it all out. But the picture thing will stand- I've struggled since he was born with whether or not I should post his picture here, and have decided that it just doesn't sit well with me. Hence Facebook.

I have thought about making the blog invite-only, but I haven't made any decisions yet. In the meantime, my email is available under my blog profile. If you don't know how to find me on Facebook, contact me. :)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I sent you an email. And I promise I'm not spam. :)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I must say that I am quite sad about this. While I love Facebook, it doesn't allow for the humorous posts like a blog does. Or thought-provoking. Or sad. Or anything.

Consider a protected blog. Please?

And totally understand about the pictures.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home