Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy New Year! This is about my sinuses and such.

Yes, folks, it was another rarin', rockin' New Year's Eve in the Liz-Mike household!

We started the party a bit early this year, spending the night of December 30th in a stale-smelling hotel room in Florence, South Carolina. Florence was almost exactly halfway home for us, and this particular hotel was pet friendly! More importantly, it was budget-friendly, which is AMAZING considering our lovely view of the empty pool and Interstate 95. The hum of the semi-trucks provided great ambience, the comings and goings of other hotel guests kept the dog growling all night long, and the damp room sent my willful sinuses into a complete state of rebellion, leaving me with a raging infection that made me feel like I'd been pummeled in the face.

I was thinking that pushing through and driving the 12 hours with a screaming baby in the back seat would have been preferable to spending the night there, but my judgment may be impaired due to my still-aching molars.

Miraculously? In the hotel, the baby slept like... well, a baby.

In fact, Lion was an absolute dream during our travels. He slept a lot, spent time gazing out the window, nursed happily in whatever parking lot we managed to find, and maintained his look of amazement as I read Hop on Pop fifty thousand times.

Forgive me, but after the first twenty readings I had to start ad-libbing and using fake accents.

ALL FALL
Fall off the wall.
This is what happens when you don't listen to your mother.

RED NED TED and ED in BED
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PAT SAT
Pat sat on hat.
PAT CAT
Pat sat on cat.
PAT BAT
Pat sat on bat.
Pat, were you held back a lot in school?

THING THING
What the hell is that thing?
I do not want to hear
that freaky thing sing.

BACK BLACK
Brown came back.
Brown came back with Mr. Black.
Mrs. Black is calling her divorce attorney.

Lion was a hit with the family. He absolutely loved the beach- squishing his toes and fingers in the wet sand, putting his salty, sandy hands in his mouth, the birds, the sun, everything. The only thing better than watching him was watching my father, who grew up on Daytona Beach and was Lifeguard of the Year once. I let him carry Lion onto the beach and touch his toes to the sand for the first time. He is a very proud grandfather.

And once again, Mike and I perused real estate listings and talked about moving. Oh, I know. CALL MY BLUFF, Internet! Tell me to put up or shut up!

Just... do it quietly, would you? My head is still throbbing.

Since I was in the back seat with the baby, Alex got to ride shotgun and was the calmest he's ever been on a road trip. Huh- all he ever wanted in life was to ride in the front seat! We put him in charge of the iPod. Maybe that's why Who Let the Dogs Out was played repeatedly?


Just call me DJ Alex, yo.

Anyhow, we got back home on December 31st, I went to bed at 8:00 with a warm compress on my face, and Mike had to kiss the dog at midnight.

Don't look at me that way. Jealousy is so unbecoming.

So tell me how your New Year's was either better or worse than mine. It will make me feel better! And remember, making shit up is completely acceptable around here.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger kj said...

happy new year, liz! no comment on my new year's eve, which says too much already...

:)

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Well, I finished painting my ugly kitchen brick by 8, and was in bed and asleep at 10. L-O-S-E-R. And I am totally ok with that!

11:40 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Are you going to start hiring DJ Alex out for parties? lol

We watched National Treasure with the boys and I believe we were in bed by about 10:30. Super exciting, no?

I'm glad that Lion did well on the trip. He's a born traveller!

My word verification: alonema

7:21 PM  
Blogger rudecactus said...

I think I can pretty much recite Hop On Pop. Sometimes it gets stuck in my head. That kinda sucks. Happy New Year!

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Frema said...

Hop on Pop is a favorite in this house, too. As far as the "Red Ned Ted and Ed in bed" bit goes, I always have similar thoughts when I get to that part!

Because it's meant for such little kids, I have a hard time loving that book. Thankfully, Kara's also on board with One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Are You My Mother?, and Ten Apples Up on Top.

New Year's was good. After we put Kara down for the night, Luke made fun appetizers and we watched part of Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. We brought in 2009 with sparkling apple cider and a kiss. Then we went to bed. Because we are muy exciting.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Hop on Pop was Nate's All-Time Favorite!

New Year's? No joke, but we actually got out of the house and went to festivities. Our city holds a family friendly night with music, food, theater, and even 2 separate fireworks shows. My night was filled with steel drum music, lentil soup, and watching fireworks in single digit weather. I'm livin' it up baby!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

kj- ok, it was either WAY better or WAY worse than mine. I'm hoping for better?

betsy- at least you did something other than moan.

suzy- DJ Alex is available for your next big bash. give me a call and we can discuss rates.

RC- happy new year!

frema- sounds lovely. my fun appetizer was Sudafed PE.

roxanne- lentil soup sounds delicious right now...

8:02 AM  
Anonymous J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Happy New Year, Liz, Mike, Lion, and Alex!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

A belated Happy New Year!

My NYE was dinner with my parents at a Ruby Tuesday in the middle of Nowhere, PA. Then I had to wake Rowen up a few minutes before midnight so I wouldn't be totally alone when the ball dropped. She obliged me with a few kisses and then promptly returned to bed.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home