Saturday, January 24, 2009

"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet."

I was going to write about when Mike and I had dinner with some friends recently and he was trying to tell a story about Michael Moore but couldn't remember his name and he said, "Who's that crazy fat guy with the beard?" and I said, "Santa Claus?"
See? It's not as funny now.
So anyway, Alex is going in for surgery on Monday morning. He developed a lump on his leg last year, so we took him to see the vet. She told us to keep an eye on it. And we did, and we watched as it got bigger over the following months, so back to the vet we went. This time she recommended that it be removed. So it will be, on Monday morning.
It's probably nothing. I hope it's nothing.
I remember how after Lion's birth, I saw our sweet dog in a different light. He was bigger, all of a sudden. Heavier. His teeth seemed sharper, more dangerous. A creature who had only ever been soul-soothing was now extra work at a time when I didn't even have the energy to wash my own hair. This made me feel tremendously guilty, that I should suddenly look at him with anything other than the love I'd always felt for him.
Things evened out, of course. I love him as much as ever, and he's been an absolute dream with the baby. He's a good, sweet dog.
It's probably nothing. I hope it's nothing.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

I hope it's nothing too. Please keep us posted - I don't want to worry needlessly! :)

3:34 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

it better be nothing.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Aw...poor Alex. I hope everything is okay.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Possibly a fatty tumor. My dad's dog has had a couple of these, and she's ok. Alex will pull through like a champ!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Poor Alex! But I'm sure he'll be okay. I'll be thinking about him. And Rowen is sending lots of puppy kisses.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Your feelings about your first "kid" were perfectly normal. I think we've all gone through the same.

Will be sending positive thoughts in Alex's direction. Poor guy.

11:55 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I'm sure it's nothing. Give Alex big kisses from me! I'll be thinking about you all tomorrow....

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Alex the Dog said...

Woof! Thanks, everyone. I look like a total badass with these stiches in my leg!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home