Monday, January 26, 2009

Who you gonna call?

Alex is out of surgery and doing okay, and we'll be able to pick him up in a couple of hours. The vet said that Alex offered a weak wag of his little stump after he came out from under the anesthesia, so his spirit is a bit rumpled but not defeated. We'll get the biopsy results in a couple of days. Surgery is no fun, but Alex is very pleased to once again be the center of attention, because going under the knife for possibly cancerous tumors certainly trumps diaper rash. CHECKMATE, baby. We will be smothering him with treats and love when he returns home.

In other news, Lion has been drooling like a Saint Bernard, woke up repeatedly last night in fits of discomfort and woe, gnawed my tender flesh during both attempts at nursing this morning, and STILL I didn't realize that his two bottom teeth were coming in until the women at his daycare pointed it out.

"Seriously?" I asked. I mean, the American Dental Association told me his teeth would start coming in at six months, and I believe in the American Dental Association, you know?

"Seriously," Ms. Michelle said. "Take a look- you'll see them!"

Huh! She was right! Two little evil white nubbins had poked right through his gums. And here I'd chalked up his sleeplessness to a stuffy nose, nearly drowning the poor boy in saline nose drops all night long.

I guess you can see why my career with the FBI never took off.

Speeaking of my investigative abilities, I freaked myself out but good the other day. I was stuffing clean towels into the hallway linen closet when I heard an eerie sound coming from the bedroom.

wooooooooooooo!

I took a cautious step toward the noise, peeking into the room.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

My heart went cold. It sounded like a baby ghost.

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!

My eyes jumped to the shadowy corner near the dresser. And suddenly,

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING, SILLY MAN?"

I yelped and grabbed the phone- for what, I don't know. To call 911 and report a ghost in my house?

"DO YOU HAVE A DIRTY DIAPER, SILLY MAN?"

Then I saw it, and my heart slowed considerably. It was the baby monitor. I'd turned on the recevier, but not the baby's end. I was hearing a baby in someone else's house. A baby who sounds like a spirit of the dead, apparently.

Let this be a warning to those of you who live in close proximity to your neighbors. None of my neighbors have small babies, so I have no idea where Silly Man lives or from what distance my receiver is picking up his howling. And I've heard even more from that house since then, oh yes! Let's just say that I am now exceedingly careful about what I say and DO when I'm around the baby monitor.

As a sign of my considerable maturity, I am fighting the urge to growl into the monitor, "Sorry, Jack...Chucky's back!"

That would be wrong, right?

Right.

Spoilsports.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

firsties!

I once heard truckers on my monitor, seriously. freaked me right the hell out.

glad alex came thru smoothly.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Huh - e is gnawing on everything in sight, but no teeth yet!

4:31 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I almost laughed out loud (at work, of course) at your baby ghost! Frankly, I think you should totally freak out your neighbors with the baby monitor. I mean, they freaked you out, right? ;)

Hope Alex is okay!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Ha! Would have totally freaked me out.

It reminds me of the movie Signs when they use the baby monitor to pick up communications between aliens. I think I would rather hear someone talking to their baby about a dirty diaper than aliens.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I don't need to scare my neighbors with the baby monitor. I can just yell at the kids across the back yard. :-O

I just caught up on your blog a bit. I'm glad Alex is okay. I love watching them try to eat food with the cone head. Evil giggle.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home