Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Heart Day

Mike and I usually avoid going out for dinner on the weekend of or closest to Valentine's Day. The restaurants are overly crowded, the kitchen and wait staff overworked... it's just not the best time to enjoy ourselves and get our money's worth. This year we decided to eschew dining out altogether. And what did we do instead?

We went grocery shopping.

And the weirdest part is that I didn't even care! There we were last night, pushing our baby in a grocery cart around Wegman's at 6:30 p.m. on Valentine's Day, wearing sweatshirts and sneakers, and it was exhilirating because I WAS GETTING THINGS DONE. Plus I had a coupon for 10% off our entire purchase, which is close to having the best sex of your entire life.

And the store was really crowded, so either people were getting provisions for a romantic night in or they were just running errands, like us. Actually, I did see quite a few befuddled looking men in shirts and ties wandering around the produce section. One asked me in a hushed tone, "What are leeks?"

Me: They look like giant scallions.

Him: Scallions?

Me: Come with me.

When I told Mike about this, he shook his head. He prides himself on his produce identification skills.

We did make an effort, buying some strawberries and a bottle of wine for later. After we got home, I nursed the baby while Mike put the groceries away and heated up the leftover stuffed shells for dinner. Lion passed out around 7:30, we made a salad of spinach, scallions, toasted almonds and mandarin oranges, and ate on TV trays in the living room.

Later that evening, Mike was whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

"I'm going to dust the living room tomorrow," he purred.

"Oh, baby."

"I'll vacuum, too."

"YES."

"And I'll get up at 3 a.m. and breastfeed Lion so you can sleep."

"I will do ANYTHING YOU WANT right now."


We'd agreed not to exchange gifts, but I'd been working on making a DVD for him for months, comprised of photos and videos of Lion. So I finished it just in time, and Mike absolutely loved it. I'll put it up on Facebook for a while, so if we're friends, you can see it there.

It turned out to be a pretty good Valentine's Day. What did you do?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

we were wildly romantic - we did the hockey practice/games thing all day with various boys, I went grocery shopping and bought a new iron (I ruined the old one ironing something that I thought was cloth but was some sort of weird synthetic soemthing...), and then we had roast chicken for dinner and watched the Pens game. Long live romance!

also? You totally need to set up a hotline for the befuddled other men in the produce section. THAT'S why your husband is so good at produce ID.

12:11 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

We did... nothing! Let the good times roll!!

We have the boys this weekend, and next weekend too, but we're talking about doing some sort of little getaway the weekend after that. :)

3:07 PM  
Anonymous ashley said...

we went grocery shopping at wegmans on vday night too. that 10 percent off coupon was the best vday gift ever.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home