Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pet Peeves

Okay, I know I just blathered on about focusing on the positive when the world around you is going to hell in a handbasket, but can I have the luxury of a few complaints about the world's struggle with vegetarian cuisine?

1. I was searching Epicurious for some new main-dish vegetarian recipes to try and the majority of them were some kind of pizza, lasagna, tart, or quiche. I mean, I love cheese and crust as much as the next person, but it IS possible to construct creative, delicious vegetarian meals that do not include those things. I subscribe to Vegetarian Times and highly recommend it for anyone who seeks delicious, practical vegetarian and vegan recipes.

2. I am a Top Chef fan, absolutely. But I want to throw santoku knives at the contestants when they're told they have to cook something without meat and they act like it's the end of the world. Did you see last week's Superbowl episode? Stefan chooses to go head to head with Andrea in part because she's vegetarian- meaning, of course, that she's a weak chef. If a chef is worth his salt- if he can learn butchering and myriad cooking techniques to produce a delicious meat dish- then he should be able to do something interesting with vegetables.

As you were.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jonathan said...

April will mark 2 years since I quit eating meat. Since then I have moved away from cooking anything with milk or eggs in my kitchen. Also, I gave up cheese as my New Year's Resolution -- imagine the dismay of people around me. No cheese? BLASPHEMY!!!!!

A lot of people are puzzled how one can eat a variety of delicious foods that are meatless (or even vegan). And I have seen confused faces who fail to understand why a soup made with chicken or beef broth is NOT veg.-friendly even when the bits o' meat are omitted.

What annoys me most, though, is that the friggin' Food Network does not boast a single show devoted to vegetarian food. Can we say "untapped market?" Instead I watch Giada, Ellie Krieger, and Rachael Ray for their occasional meatless recipes (or recipes that are easily adaptable).

/rant> ;)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

You know what gets me? Those ads on Facebook that say Obama has set aside billions for everyone and you can claim your check today! Does anyone actually believe this?

7:27 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

@ Jonathan - it's true, I've found that the Food Network is a meat fest.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Jonathan- Good for you! I do eat seafood on occasion, so technically I'm a pescetarian. But it's been almost 20 years since I stopped eating beef, pork, lamb, etc., and about 12 years since I gave up chicken and turkey. And except for when I was pregnant and I developed a bizarre but powerful craving for barbecued ribs, I don't miss it! (yes, I resisted) ;)

and you are so right about Food Network. I would love to see a vegetarian/vegan-friendly show.

Bearette- If you take the $, do you have to grant the government oversight of all your spending?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home