Monday, March 16, 2009

I fully intend to submit my newly-invented psychiatric condition for possible inclusion in the DSM-V

When you drive, do you typically look at other drivers? Like when you're passing someone, or stopped at a red light?

I almost never do. Maybe this stems from my college days, when I had to drive a fairly lonely stretch of highway every day to get to my senior internship, and encountered way more than my fair share of dirty truckers. Or maybe it's because I prefer not to confirm my suspicion that other drivers are texting/shaving/reading the Washington Post while steering the car with their knees. BABY ON BOARD! Please, for the love of God, TRIM YOUR NOSE HAIRS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE.

But I must be in the minority. On the rare occasion that I glance to the left or the right, nine times out of ten there is another driver looking at me. Not in a lewd manner (most of the time), but like they just want to see who's in the next car over.

This unsettles me, and I realize that my reaction says more about me than about the other drivers. Apparently I'm so introverted that I'm content to remain wrapped in my Subaru cocoon, listening to my own thoughts and staring straight ahead, I-touch-no-one-and-no-one-touches-me. It's a raging case of automotive avoidant personality disorder.

Do you have AAPD, or do you look? And if you're a looker, do I want to know what you've seen in the next car over?

Go ahead, tell me. I'll just grip my steering wheel while you type...

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Accidental Mommy said...

I only look if I'm giving the death glare. Otherwise, nope I busy myself in the car or stare straight ahead.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

when i do drive, i think i'm more of a singer (with the radio) than a looker :) if i'm stopped in traffic, with many cars around me, i might look...

3:29 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Like Bearette, I am a singer (at the top of my lungs without a care in the world...I get funny looks all the time). Sometimes I glance over but not for long because I don't want to get caught.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I'm a looker, and sometimes a starer... until they feel my eyes on them and turn to look at me. Then I quickly look away like I was never looking. I like to guess what kind of person drives each car. I'm surprised a lot. There are a lot of women driving huge dirty pickup trucks in Jax.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I do not look. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that they look at me while I am singing and talking to myself...

9:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm unabashedly nosy. I absolutely look. But I'm an anthropologist! It's sort of my job to be nosy, er, I mean, observe others in everyday environments.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I don't look at all.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home