Monday, April 27, 2009

Blip

As I was telling Frema this morning, I gave Lion his first bottle of formula on Saturday morning, and he didn't appear to detect any difference. Good thing, since I bought a ginormous tin of it and if Lion didn't like it, Mike and I were going to be drinking it in lieu of milk, because I was not about to throw out $33 worth of magic powder (which I can only assume is made from Colin Firth's fingernail clippings, it's so damn expensive). Naturally, the day after I opened the tin I found the exact same tin at Wegmans for almost five dollars less.

That burns, Whole Foods.

To update those who care about such things, I'm still pumping three times a day, which means that I only have to use 2-4 ounces of formula per bottle, depending. I plan to keep doing that for as long as my supply holds up. Lion continues to dig night-time nursing only, and I am happy to oblige.

Buying the can of formula last Friday was a bit hard, because I felt as though I were admitting defeat. But opening it on Saturday morning was fairly ho hum. I decided to give him his first taste in the morning, in case he had an adverse reaction. I scooped it into the bottle, added water, and shook it up. Lion happily drank it.

The end.

After the roller coaster that was the first week of the strike, the new routine is a relief. I know where we stand. I'm not afraid he'll go hungry; I don't have to worry about how much I pump. I don't have to keep running through every trick recommended by La Leche.

Someday this unexpected transition will be a mere blip on the radar. Even in the thick of it, I knew that. But I needed to try everything possible before I could let it go, and then I needed to mourn. And that's what I did.

I can sleep tonight.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

dude, measure the water into the bottle first, then add powder. you probably know that. but just in case...also, I will save you any coupon I run across.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

oh, right- I did that, no worries. Man, reading the back of a can is a lot easier than trying to figure out breastfeeding, I'll tell you that much.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Jen, my oldest, self weaned at ten months. She was done. I remember that sad feeling.

She wouldn't take formula though, the stinker.

I'm glad your little man is being more cooperative. :-)

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home