Tuesday, April 28, 2009

this and that

Mike was out for most of Saturday, and by Sunday I needed a little alone time. So I volunteered to mow the lawn. Yes, folks- what once qualified as "tiresome chore" is now "peaceful alone time". Behold the magic of parenthood!

Once I'd mowed, the edges looked sloppy, so I got out the edger. Once the lawn was edged, the bushes looked sloppy, so I got out the hedge clippers. Guess I needed that alone time! I also guess we've been a little distracted since last summer, because the bushes were seriously out of control. It took me a solid hour to hack them down to size, and two days later I still can't move my arms. In fact, I'm typing this with my tongue! Don't say I never did anything for you.

After I'd given the bushes their girlish figures back, I was quite annoyed to notice that only the tulips on the right side of our patio bloomed this year, leaving the left side without a pleasing pop of color. To correct this imbalance, I hacked down all the tulips, too:


Still life of tulips with plastic crap.


On Monday, upon hearing a prediction of mid-90s on the NPR weather report, I busted out a pair of capris to wear to work, which necessitated a pair of sandals.

Problematic.

I know you won't believe this, but I've largely given up on heels. Temporarily, at least. It's just too hard to haul Lion and everything else down the stairs to the garage and then into the daycare wearing Nikes, let alone 3-inch heels. Now, now, I haven't gone to true flats, mostly because I don't think they look good on me. I'm a wedge girl for now.

Anyhow, the only black sandals I have that are suitable for work also have a heel, and while it's not a very big heel, it's narrow enough to make the morning marathon a bit precarious. Then I remembered them... the loyal black Aerosoles slides that I wore to work almost every day for four solid months when I was pregnant last year.

Those will work, I decided. I had a hazy recollection of Mike wrinkling his nose in distaste the last time I wore them, but I also remembered telling him that they were my only comfortable shoes and I wasn't going to buy new ones when my feet were swollen and he could just deal with them, unless he wanted to take the 30 extra pounds I was carrying.

(he politely declined)

But when I pulled them out the box yesterday, I was horrified that I'd worn these things out in public, let alone to work.

Dude.


That is some nasty shoe.


See that edge near the toe of the shoe, where a bit of
padding is peeping out?
I super-glued that sucker at least four times.

Classy.

I felt bad throwing a pair of shoes into the trash, but I'm certain that even in today's crappy economy, no one is desperate enough to want these.


So, not only do I need a new pair of black sandals, I have a wardrobe dilemma.

This June my brother is getting married to a girl I adore- that's the great news. The bad news, as far as my wardrobe is concerned, is that the wedding will be at a campground in New York, about 45 minutes from Manhattan. It should be a blast- after the ceremony there will be dancing and a bonfire, and my whole family is going to camp there that night.

The recommended attire for the ceremony is "campground chic". Ha ha ha! I told you, I love that girl.

Anyhow, as the sister of the groom I know I'll be in lots of family pictures that evening, so I do need to look presentable.

I need a dress:
  • That is appropriate for an outdoor wedding in early June
  • That I can dance in
  • That can get dirty
  • That can stand up to a squirmy, grabby (no strapless dresses) 9-month old (who will presumably be on my lap the entire time, since Mike is one of the groomsmen)
  • That is nice enough for pictures
  • That provides easy access for nursing Thanks for taking care of that issue, Lion!

I need shoes:
  • That go with the dress
  • That are flats or wedges
  • That are comfortable for walking on unpaved trails

So! Who has the perfect solution?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

I hesitate to recommend dresses to you because I don't know your body type or taste in clothes. I also don't know your budget.

However, I own a pair of these shoes:
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/brands/Product.aspx?ProductID=5134&pagetag=women_unstructured&source=Brand (I have them in "brown," which is really more of a copper color.)

I know they look kind of tacky in the picture, but they look a lot better in person. Every single time I wear them, at least three people tell me how much they like them. I've never had so many people compliment my shoes before! I got them at Nordstrom, so you might be able to find them in a store and try them on before buying.

Good luck! (And congrats to your brother!)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Floral Still Life said...

Hey, I've given up being stylish in shoes a long time ago! I wear a size 4. But if it has open heels and open toes I can weat up to a size 5. Big deal. It's even hard to find a size 5.

1:03 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

You know, if you think you can get away with wearing a cute, more casual cotton (maybe?) dress, maybe you can find some really nice almost sneaker-like shoes to wear. My first thought about wearin sandals or something at a campground was getting rocks and/or sand in your shoes and having to walk about in that all day.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

i wonder how your husband would've reacted to the pink crocs i wore throughout the last few months of my pregnancy ;)

4:08 PM  
Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

I have rarely been happier to be a man than after reading this post - not in a "thanks be to bacon and all things holy that I don't have to deal with all of the machinations of motherhood" way. Rather, I am thankful in a "Wow, women rock, and some of them occasionally want to be with me" way. Good luck finding the perfect outfit.

4:23 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Safari chic - a nice, neutral shirt-dressy kind of thing. With keen Mary janes.

9:57 PM  
Blogger AblazeyDaisy said...

I am the world's biggest fan of Old Navy dresses for festival attire. Most of the music festivals we attend, we also camp. Old Navy cotton dresses are reasonably priced, you can find coupons online every week and if they get dirty beyond repair, you haven't dropped too much. Also, Birkenstocks now have a patent leather gizah style shoe that is classy and comfortable for around $60.00.

Good luck on the search!
ablazeydaisy.blogspot.com

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Give yourself a break- that's what happens when you can't see your feet for a few months.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I looked at any links or items suggested. I have another post brewing with some shoe and dress pics.

My brother and the groomsmen will be in suits, and the bride will be in a tea-length wedding dress, so I want to look like I fit in without being too fancy. I think some kind of cotton dress is a good idea and I've been eyeing one... more soon.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Can't wait to see your dress idea, Liz! Ooh, if you need more ideas, Nordstrom is having a fabulous dress sale right now. Special occasion dresses are 40% off! If shopping with Lion in tow is too hard, you can always order online. I've had great experiences with Nordstrom's Internet ordering process.

And what about gladiator sandals? I know that some of them are really ugly, but I've seen some cute delicate ones. These from Talbot's are cheap and come in many different colors:
http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=N55887&h=A&sk=A&hbcmp=LEC-GPA

11:37 AM  
Blogger kj said...

i am the last person to help. but i like seeing what advice you get.
plus i think you are secretly fashionable and you just want to see what else you might consider...

always nice to hear from you, liz. i can tell you are one happy mom. my jess just had a second son, so we're back to infanthood again for a while. and mr. ryan is chatting up a storm. it's all good.

smooch to lion please.

xoxo
kj

11:16 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

A maxi dress. They are cute and comfy and are usually cut low enough that you can hide in a corner and pull a boob out of the top.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home