Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Making up for lost time. Bear with me.

Stressful, stressful situation in the worky world, which of course I will not discuss here, but suffice it to say that I was up until 1:30 a.m. watching Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and not because I particularly enjoyed it. For once I can't blame my lack of sleep on a teething baby (now that tooth #6 and tooth #7 have broken through, he's been sleeping fabulously); no, it was simply a tornado of thoughts that wouldn't go away. That hasn't happened in at least 18 months, mostly because I've been so consistently tired that only a pregnant belly or a crying baby could keep me awake. Other than that, I'm so exhausted that I can-- for the first time in MY LIFE-- sleep soundly through just about any noise you could think of, including the Earth-shaking rumble of my neighbor's obnoxiously huge pick-up truck as he starts it up at 4:30 each morning, mere steps away from my bedroom window.

For the love of God! I used to want to shout at him. Don't you want to BUY A NICE, QUIET PRIUS OR MINI COOPER LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AROUND HERE?

I will say this: stressful worky issue doesn't have anything to do with my job share, which was finally approved for the coming fiscal year. That was a big relief. Daycare is great for Lion- many times he laughs and pumps his tiny fists in the air when he realizes where we're going, and he loves being around the other babies- but still, I'm glad he's there part-time.

I'm still amazed at the expense of daycare, even part-time daycare. We'd love to have another baby, we're sure of it, but in these parts, two kids in part-time daycare would practically cancel out my financial contribution to the household. Which doesn't mean another baby is out of the question, not at all, but I'm not sure I buy into the whole "There's never a right time, you just have to go for it and you'll find a way to manage!" thing. I'm the kind of person who likes to have "a way to manage" mapped out ahead of time. Also, things still seem shaky to me. Thoughts on the economy's recovery, real or imagined? Anyone? Bueller? Should I just consult my old Magic 8 ball?

I love my career and I want to work (also, I need to work, for sanity's sake), so it's not just about the money. But money's important, especially if you want to save for retirement and college and not stress when you have to visit the pediatrician five times in one month and if you'd like take the occasional road trip to Florida.

Which, yes, we're going to Florida again! In July. And we'll be meeting with the same real estate agent we saw last time (which, huh! in reading those old posts I see that I forgot to mention the real estate thing. Guess I was too distracted by a certain embryo). We're going to spend a couple of days exploring different neighborhoods and touring some houses, and just... see. I really doubt we'll move anytime soon, because while I'm pretty sure we could sell our house fairly quickly and I'm absolutely sure we could find a new one in Florida, the pesky job thing stands in the way. It's a good thing we didn't move the last time we got serious about this, because the school system with which Mike had a promising phone interview has since laid off hundreds of people, and we'd probably be living with my parents right now.

The problem is that I already found the perfect house for us, a house that has enough storage space and lots of windows and isn't RIGHTNEXT to the neighbors' houses and backs up to a state park and has a yard big enough for the garden of my dreams and is in a good school district and is painted the most becoming shade of green and topped with a charming metal roof. We'll go see it in a couple of weeks.

Internet, Magic 8 ball- I know what you're going to say! We should just get pregnant again, sell our house, buy The Perfect House, and move to Florida without any job prospects, right? We'll find a way to manage.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

Funny you mention this...my MIL did just about this same thing. She's freshly moved to Florida with no job prospects, but moved closer to family. That house sounds spectacular. I bet Lion would love being a beach bum. :)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Sounds like you have a lot to think about...

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Frema said...

I love reading posts like this, where bloggers mull over future plans and long-term goals. I don't have any advice for you (mostly because you don't need it!), but I wish you the best of luck in figuring things out.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home