Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Songs for Fathers

Music is really important to Mike, and it's been a big part of his life since childhood. So when I was pregnant, it seemed right to make him a CD of songs about fatherhood (wow- I almost typed "mix tape" instead of "CD"). Trouble was, I could find plenty of nice songs about fathers and daughters, but most of the father-son songs I came across had themes of anger and bitterness. For example, Cat's in the Cradle came up every time I tried a new Google search for fatherhood-related songs. Not exactly what I had in mind, you know?

So here's what I ended up with. Not all of them are about fatherhood, exactly, but they all fit. Mike loved it, and he still plays it while he and Lion are hanging out together.

Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
So Damn Lucky - Dave Matthews Band
Gassenhauer - Carl Orff
Little Potato - Metamora (this song is ADORABLE- we called Lion Little Potato for months)
Blackbird - the Beatles (we used to sing this to my belly)
The Things We've Handed Down - Marc Cohn
Kooks - David Bowie
In My Life - the Beatles
My First Child - Nil Lara
Still Fighting It - Ben Folds
Just the Two of Us - Will Smith
You Belong to Me - Jason Wade
Slumber My Darling - Allison Krauss
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - Dean Martin (Mike sings this to Lion a lot)
Lullabye for Wyatt - Sheryl Crow
Two of Us - the Beatles
Danny's Song - Loggins & Messina
Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel) - Billy Joel

Which songs would you add to this list?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Little Potato! I love it.

11:27 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

The only other father-type songs I can think of are both country. Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) sung by the Dixie Chicks. Apparently it was written by a father for his son after the parents split up and the mom was moving far away. It's really sweet.

The other one is Daddy's Hands. It's been around for a long time, and I don't remember who sings it. I love it, but I can barely stand to listen to it because it always makes me cry!

11:40 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

There's a Dar Williams song she wrote for her son, called The One Who Knows. and of course - big dork that I am - Dan Fogelberg's Leader of the Band. Still gives me goosebumps.

6:29 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

and of course, Hey Jude : )

6:29 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

and funnily, Alison Krauss sings on the Dar Williams tune...I also love her song on Sandra Boynton's Dog Train, I think it's called Evermore. It's gorgeous.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Frema said...

I love that Will Smith remake. It used to make me cry.

"The Pie Song" from Waitress was my favorite song to sing to Kara when she was first born, and Luke would sometimes sing the chorus to her. It doesn't specifically mention moms or dads or sons or daughters, so I think it's a good example of a good parent-child song. It gets to me so much that sometimes I can't finish it and have to hum the rest.

10:22 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

how about "A Boy Name Sue" by Johnny Cash?

11:06 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I should have asked you guys when I was making the CD! Maybe I'll make a Fatherhood II.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

babel- I could kick myself for not thinking of Leader of the Band!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home