Thursday, August 06, 2009

Shorts

While using the bathroom at a college I was visiting, I noticed a PLEASE FLUSH sign mounted inside the stall. If you have to be told, perhaps you're not ready for college?

*************

Lion and I were having a "conversation" while I was driving him to daycare last week. A big, noisy truck in the next lane was making it difficult to hear him, so I twisted the stereo's volume knob all the way to the right before I realized what I was doing.

In other car-related stupidity, before I left for work yesterday I folded up my accordian-style sun shade and stuffed it between the front passenger seat and the door. As I was leaving work late last night, I made my way through the creepy, empty parking garage and opened the passenger door of my car to deposit my bag. The sun shade sprang from the car like a snake-in-a-can gag, and my echoing shriek brought a nearby police officer running to my aid.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I was too tired to make up a good story, so I told him the truth.

He seemed disappointed. I guess it was a slow night.

*************

We recently watched the movie Milk. Mesmerized, I watched the entire thing without once thinking, You dick!. I guess that means Sean Penn is a pretty good actor?

*************

A colleague I hadn't seen in a while spotted me walking down the hall and bellowed, "Liz! It looks like you haven't had a good meal in a long time!" He patted his own ample stomach.

"Um, thanks?" I replied.

This colleague and I both enjoy food and wine and used to trade tips and stories about local restaurants. He told me about a new place that he and his wife have been several times, then about his recent two-week stay in Turkey.

"You need to get a babysitter and get back out there!" he said.

"Oh, we have several willing babysitters," I told him. "It's the money that's scarce."

He, a father of three grown children, smiled kindly. "I remember those days," he said.

I kind of like those days.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger This suzy said...

I'd like to see Milk, so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

it was good!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

i'm curious - why were you visiting the college?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I've always wondered if the same people who don't flush are the same people who don't use turn signals. Maybe they don't even bother to wipe.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

B- I had a meeting...

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home