Sunday, August 23, 2009

Stress

Stress! Stress! Stress!

Work-related stress!

Which means that I can't write about it here. What a shame, because I think poor Mike is about to keel over from my dramatics.

Sigh.

The mature response would be to say how thankful I am to have a job. Which, I am. But you can only shovel your anxiety into the closet for so long before the door explodes off its hinges and sends a stiletto-heeled shoe flying toward your face, intent on giving you the nose piercing you never wanted.

Or... something like that.

I try not to think about work when I'm not there. But I do.

I tell myself I won't check my work email when I'm home. But I do.

I tell myself I won't blog about work.

So I won't.


In other news that isn't likely to get me fired: Alas, the missing library card was never found. I've lost and found it so many times that I was SURE I'd eventually discover it under the seat of my car, or in a different bag, or in the dryer. Eventually I broke down and paid a dollar for a replacement, but this time I got a mini card that can be attached to my keychain. In case you didn't know, this means that I am now destined to lose my keys.

One thing I can't seem to lose is the Washington Post, whose salespeople seem to think that making call after call is the way to make me smile and say, "Yes! I'm so glad you called again, because I really didn't mean NO the first four hundred times. Please sign me up for daily delivery!" We get Sunday delivery only, and have for years, simply because we know we won't make the time to read the paper every day. I want to help save journalism, but letting unread papers pile up in my garage isn't the way to do it.

Not only am I not reading the paper every day, but I'm also avoiding online news and television. This is my very mature approach to reducing the stress and anxiety I feel whenever I hear anyone talking about our disaster of an economy. Of course, I was slammed with news of a dismal forecast at work the other day, so it will probably take a while for me to get back to a state of 99% ignorance. I guess I could distract myself by preparing for H1N1.

So, particulate respirators. Would you go with one that's NIOSH-approved, or live dangerously?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Maybe you could describe it in some coded way - using "celery" to stand in for "library," stuff like that.

8:13 PM  
Blogger This suzy said...

I don't know if this is what you were asking (because my head is a bit fried at the moment), but I plan on getting a flu shot this year. However, I get one most years, so it's not like I'm doing it because of the H1N1. In fact, I still don't see what all the hype has been about. The regular, seasonal flu kills more people than the H1N1 has, so what't the big deal? That's just me.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

For the first time ever, I'm considering getting a flu shot this year. Since I work with kids and a bazillion germs (and also because last year I had a couple of horrendous go-arounds with the flu) I think this might be the year to go for it. I've heard that you need to get a separate vaccine for the piggy flu. Ugh.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

You do need a separate vaccination for swine flu, but I don't think it's out of development, yet.

B- nice idea. I'll just say that "celery" is driving me crazy. ;)

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home