Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fast Food

Lion, Alex and I were on a long walk this morning, enjoying the impossibly blue sky and sunny, cool breeze.

As we passed a section of forest, Alex stopped short. His stumpy tail slowly rose and then stood quivering at attention. He craned his neck and flared his nostrils as he inhaled the scent of something interesting. And just like that, he dove into the brush.

Two seconds later a few stray sticks and leaves went airborne as Alex reappeared, leaping victoriously to the sidewalk, an entire loaf of Italian bread clenched between his teeth.

An entire loaf of Italian bread.

And you thought dogs couldn't grin. This was practically the best day of his life, second only to the day he found a pepperoni Hot Pocket with only one bite missing at a school bus stop.

It makes you wonder. I mean, it's not as though we were anywhere in the vicinity of a bakery or grocery store. Exactly how does someone lose an entire loaf of Italian bread in the woods? Was it a lovers' picnic gone wrong? Could I hope to find a wheel of Brie nearby? Did someone else's husband underestimate the importance of the differences between Italian bread and baguette, driving his wife to complete and utter insanity?

I could see the car passing that exact spot, the automatic passenger-side window sliding down to reveal the wife's scarlet face, the golden loaf flying unceremoniously into the woods, the echoing Baguette! I said BAGUETTE! bouncing off the trees and mingling with the car's exhaust as they disappear from sight.

How do you think the bread got there? And what's the weirdest thing you ever found when you were out walking?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger nejyerf said...

he must have been in doggie heaven!

have you heard about this?

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/melissa-gilbert-from-prairie-to-stage/283?nc

we so need to go see this!!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

When I had a dog, she once picked up a whole bagel from someone's curb in her teeth. Since the bagel had been near the garbage, I tried to pry it out of her teeth. But she wouldn't let me...

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

This made me laugh out loud!! Reminds me of my dad's dog, but only when she is hunting pheasants. I don't think she has ever hunted bread. ;)

The strangest thing I have every encountered on a walk... hmmmm. The piece of toast in my yard, courtesy of my neighbors. I know it's not on a walk, but that was just weird.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

People, it's 10 p.m. Do you know where your bread products are?

8:02 PM  
Blogger This suzy said...

You know, your focus was more on how the loaf of bread got there, but I kept thinking, "How did Alex think to hunt THAT?" lol

9:40 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

if there is even a tiny morsel of food nearby, you can trust Alex to find it.

Bearette- once my cat found a hot dog in a bag of trash that had been ripped open. It had maggots on it. I was around 10 at the time and the horror still hasn't faded. Ugh.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home