Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You'll never believe what I saw in Safeway yesterday

You know how sometimes you're at a party and the conversation is flowing and people are laughing and having a great time when all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, everyone stops talking at the exact same moment and there's this awkward silence? And as the seconds tick by it becomes more and more awkward and someone should say something, but everyone's waiting for someone else to say the something, and then- blessed Jesus- someone says, "Oh my god, so you'll never believe what I saw in Safeway yesterday...", and everyone laughs gratefully and pretends that the silence never existed.

Crisis averted.

Things have been strange around here. See, we went to the beach for Labor Day weekend and while we were there, a real crisis was averted. A tragedy, actually. A family member (or three family members, perhaps) almost drowned right in front of me.

A riptide was to blame. Once I swam out to the person in trouble (who I initially thought was having a heart attack) and realized that we were caught, I wasn't really worried about myself. I'm an excellent swimmer and I know what to do if I get caught in a riptide. But as I was out there, with no flotation device and a very tired man who kept saying, "I'm not going to make it, I'm not going to make it," plus two other family members who had followed me out there and were also exhausted and panicking, I felt certain that there was going to be a tragic outcome. I remember a giant swell washing over my head, and as I turned toward shore and screamed for someone to get a boogie board, I could see all the people who had been playing in the sand and surf just minutes before gathered at the water's edge.

They were expecting a tragedy, too.

There wasn't one, thankfully. After it was all over, after we had returned home, I kept going back and forth about whether I wanted to talk about it here. I decided against it. But ever since then, every time I've tried to come up with a post about the annoying house painters, or how I broke our camera by dropping it on a tile floor, or how my son is suddenly walking everywhere and getting into everything, it just seemed silly, and I'd hit DELETE POST.

Maybe now that I've gotten it out of my head I'll be able to return to my usual nonsense.

So! To be completely honest, I haven't seen anything weird in the grocery store lately. Aside from the locked display case of black truffles in the produce section, that is. I mean, other people might look to the stock market or real estate trends or employment levels for signs of economic recovery. Me? I look to the produce section. If the local grocey store is stocking truffles, things must be looking up.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Betsy said...

Wow. Things like that have a way of taking over your every waking thought. Glad crisis was averted. Glad everyone is safe. Now don't do that again.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I am so glad nobody did drown. That's extremely scary.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Our family had an almost almost incident one time. My brother and his 2 year old, my hubby, and my dad all almost got pulled out. I still think back on that and am so grateful that the ground did not disappear from under their feet. I have a feeling that my mom, sister, sil, and I would not have been able to save them...

So so glad that you and your family are okay. I'm sure your mind will clear in a bit and you'll be ready to hit the beach again.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Hannah said...

I'm glad everything turned out o.k and no one was seriously injured.
Being happy that people survived something like that is a good thing to blog about.Makes you appreciate life and your loved ones.:)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home