Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And now we shall mourn.

Don't let me near your children, for these days I seem to ruin everything I touch.

Exhibit A, also known as Oatmeal Cookies That I Have Made At Least 500 Times, So How Do You Explain This?:
Flat. as. pancakes. Super crispy. Which isn't a terrible thing, if you like super crispy cookies, but I like my oatmeal cookies chewy. I'm thinking I may have accidentally put too much butter in (which Paula Deen would probably say is impossible, unless you add so much butter that there's no room for the bacon, in which case you should probably watch a different show on Food Network).
I feel reasonably confident that I can blame these cooking mishaps on Lion, since getting interrupted fifty times while measuring your ingredients can only lead to disaster.
I know I put the flour in, I have been extremely careful to remember the flour after an unfortunate incident several months ago when I made four loaves of flourless banana bread.
Flourless chocolate cake is so delicious, but flourless banana bread?
Not so much.

These horrible pictures do not adequately portray how flat these cookies were. But don't worry- I have some amazing close-up pictures of cow dung on the heel of my shoe!

Recently we attended an outdoor wedding. I loved the setting, truly I did. It was on a big farm, and the ceremony took place at the edge of a vividly green, rolling field, where you could see cows grazing in the distance.
(they'll come into play later)
The bride and her father came across the field in a horse-drawn carriage. Gorgeous.
I wore a brown and white print dress. I'd say it was an animal print, but then you'd probaby want to know what kind of animal print, and I don't know.
Anyone?
Leopard? Cheetah? Spotted pig?



As a side note, I felt positively gleeful as I dressed for this wedding. During my pregnancy with Lion, and during the months and months of nursing that followed, all of my beloved little dresses and most of my non-stretchy shirts were banished to the guest room closet, also known as The Land of Abandoned Clothes.
Reunited, and it feels so good.


Exhibit B, or The Shoes I Was Stubborn and Foolish Enough to Wear, And So I Deserve Every Bit of Heartache:



I paired the dress with these little heels, which I love, mostly because of the little sparkly buckles on the straps:
They look fantastic in candlelight.
Anyhow! I knew the wedding was going to be outdoors, but I thought the most I'd have to worry about would be my heels sinking into the grass. I decided that I would just walk on my toes, as millions of women have done before me.
However. I did not know that we would have to park at the top of hill, and then walk nearly a quarter of a mile down a (sometimes steep) gravel road to the ceremony site. I should have just worn flip flops, pulsed the heels in my food processor a few times, and saved myself some work.

Sigh.

The bit of green? Is cow dung. I narrowly sidestepped a massive pile of horse poop and was mentally congratulating myself when my heel speared a cow patty.
That was lucky, I suppose. Had my whole foot landed on it, I can only imagine the unladylike slipping and falling that would have followed.

So, a question: could I take these to be repaired? I have no experience with shoe repair. Is it only for Good Shoes, or are these worthy? They're nothing special, just Chinese Laundry, but I do like them and would like to keep them around.
Don't worry; I'd clean them first.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Betsy said...

Give it a shot. My guess is that they will be able to repair them.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I think they're worthy. I had a pair of lesser shoes, years ago, that I brought to be repaired in Danvers, and the cobbler bluntly told me his opinion of them...

9:15 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

yes, they can be repaired and if you love them, then they are worthy. I think they are adorable.

the dress - I'd call it cheetah but what the heck do i know?

I DO know that I hate to be bugged when baking, and I now have a reputation for wanting to be alone in the kitchen : )

9:18 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Aw, bummer about the heels. They are too cute to not take them in and find out.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home